The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra n/a power

Guest mikey.p

Guest mikey.p

now i know this is going to sound really chavy haha but im trying to think of a car that would be the same sort of speed as the n/a supra but i have no idea ive driven the modao st220 at work n was thinking would the supra be slower or quicker then a boxster then a merk slk350 haha but that had alot more poke than the othet two cars. So is the supra like any of the cars ive mention above just so i know weather it would be worth getting the tt

cheers mike

My mates got a 2.7 boxter (not the new shape), they arnt to bad speed wise. They also do a 3.2 I think, and there pretty quick 0-60 in 6 secs or something. (unsure on figures)

Id of though all cars in mention would be quicker than a corsa though, and more on insurance!! How old are you?

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)

Guest mikey.p

no what im saying is considering i drive a corsa witth the hole 109bhp i would of thought that jumping in to a porche boxster would of felt like warp speed compared to my corsa but i wasnt that impressed the power. Now jumping into the slk350 that impressed me for a girlie looking car that was quick.

Im just thinking to my self now would it be worth getting the tt supra and just taking it easy because i will be keeping it for a good 4-5 years.

both boxster and merc would beat an N/A supe. Both have more power and similar (ish) weights so its quite simple really.

In terms of the mondeo then that will be very close with the supe. They have very similar power after all (225BHP and 220BHP) an weight wont be a million miles away again.

In their day, N/A supes were fast and TTs were mega fast. Today most big cars come with plenty of power from the factory so an N/A supe doesnt have an edge anymore.

N/As will be roughly on par with the following : -

Clio 172/182/192

Mondeo ST220

BMW 330i

Merks SLK 230 kompressor

Focus ST

All have similar 0 to 60s etc, and it will only be at above 70 where any differences are really noticed in my opinion.

However, 1 car looks a lot better thajn all the above and costs much less to buy due to iys age. yes thats the supe. To top it all, it will be far far more reliable due to the fact that everything is massivley overspeced which means that if you do ever wish to turbo it, you will have no problems (better still and cheaper, just drop a TT lump in and then blow all the above away).

In terms of N/A supe (or any of the above) Vs Corsa GSi. Its bye bye GSi. The GSi will be OK to 40 or so but then after that they will all pull away consistently.

thats pritty much what i wanted to no lol. If i was to go for the n/a what sort of price would i be looking at to turbo it.

Look at the classified section on here. A very good N/A might fetch £5K to 6K if its a facelift model with a 6 speed box. Early 5 speeds go for between £3K and 4.5K. Some auto N/As have been going for £2.5K recently, but dont let the auto put you off. Ive never driven one, but everyone on here whos had one says they are fantastic and usually quicker than the manual.

To drop TT engine in along with other required parts will cost about £1.5 to 3K depending on how lucky you are getting parts and if you do the labour yourself. Someone on here does an N/A to TT conversion for about £2.5K but i cant recall who. Its usually best to just buy a TT unless you are really attached to the car.

Hope that helps

i have had my n/a for nearly five years and she has NEVER broke or let me down which is exactly the reason i went for an n/a .as said you can easily put a tt lump in when funds allow .it may be 15 years old but its got far better cred than most sports cars on the road today :)

The figures bandied about for the Supra at 220bhp are the factory figures. These cars are getting on for 14 years old and you are more likely to be looking at 190bhp as an average these days

I don't see how anything that isn't a pre 1990 Italian or French POS could lose 15% of it's power unless something fundamental has broken.

Look at the classified section on here. A very good N/A might fetch £5K to 6K if its a facelift model with a 6 speed box. Early 5 speeds go for between £3K and 4.5K. Some auto N/As have been going for £2.5K recently, but dont let the auto put you off. Ive never driven one, but everyone on here whos had one says they are fantastic and usually quicker than the manual.

Wrong!

other way around