The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The HKS air filter...

SilverSoop

Hi all, i know this maybe a repost but i was shocked a what i found on the HKS induction filter.

I took it apart and off from the intake pipe and found gritty deposits that found themselves INSIDE the air filter and INSIDE my intake pipe!

I just hope this hasn't done damage to my internal components!

Luckily, i have got a major service coming up in the next couple of weeks so i willl be changing it do an Apexi induction filter...

I did do a bit of modification to the the HKS filter though, i unscrewed the screw which connects the filter to the cone, put a washer on the plastic cone,

crimped the metal cage like stuff which goes over the foam element and put it back together and i found that it now connects together tighter and wont let particulates find their way into the filter from the back as it was before and also seems more of a stable filter (not like it was before)

I know the problem is far from cured but will help anyway. The reason i put the washer on the cone is because i can see through the filter! Hopefully by doing what i did,

will stop some crap being sucked through the middle of the filter...

Don't buy an HKS filter! They are rubbish! :( :blink:

HKS are absolute rubbish, it puts me off most of the main Jap suppliers when they ship out utter boll^^ like this

It depends on how long the filter has been on there, best to do a compression test to find out, but the IC should give you a slight helping hand in filtration, if you really do care about your engine though and expect to keep the car for a long length of time you cannot beat paper

I've never understood the concept of oiled filters, how is air meant to pass through oil? They increase airflow by using foam, then take it away using 'oil', which no doubt gets sucked in to your intake anyway

HKS are absolute rubbish, it puts me off most of the main Jap suppliers when they ship out utter boll^^ like this

It depends on how long the filter has been on there, best to do a compression test to find out, but the IC should give you a slight helping hand in filtration, if you really do care about your engine though and expect to keep the car for a long length of time you cannot beat paper

I've never understood the concept of oiled filters, how is air meant to pass through oil? They increase airflow by using foam, then take it away using 'oil', which no doubt gets sucked in to your intake anyway

Exactly, when i saw particulates in my intake system, i was shocked, i could physically take the grit out!

Im getting rid of it ASAP!