The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ferries

slugger1

I've never had a problem with the ferries, but then my Supe isn't much lower than stock and doesn't have a sticky-out front. All the same I still ask to be put in the lower deck when I check-in (and again when boarding) to avoid going up the worst of the ramps to the upper deck, 5 times out of 6 that has worked. The staff are usually pretty good at watching the car's clearance, too.

I used to use the ferries a lot (mainly Speed Ferries) to go to France for Le Mans and other trips. During Le Mans they tend to have planks and stuff handy for those cars that need them. However, don't count on these being immediately available at other times of year - especially when getting off at the other end.

The other thing is that to a degree, you're at the mercy of the tides. When the tide is high at Dover for example, the ferry sits high to the quayside and you end up with a steep ramp onto or off the boat. As the quayside runs downhill to the ramp, they meet in a steep 'V' and you have a reasonable chance of scuffing the front end. (As I did a few years back - fortunately it already had a scuff and was booked in for repaint anyway)

I now use the tunnel. Make sure they put you on the bottom deck and you'll find the entrance and exit to be perfectly level.

Doesn't matter if the ramp is all the way down. If the ship is high on a high tide and the quayside slopes the opposite way to the ramp, your front wheels are still on the down slope (when exiting the ship) when the bottom of the front bumper has reached the up slope. Depending on the severity of the angles, and how low your car is (mine wasn't very low at all) you can damage the front end.

Don't get me wrong - I used the ferries for years and insisted it was ok, but eventually I got off the ship at high tide and scuffed the front bumper quite badly. Fortunately it was a Stillen front end (flexible polyeurethane) and therefore I didn't suffer any cracks. (Which would have happened if it was fibreglass)

At the end of the day, you'll probably get away with it, but the thing that determines if you do or not is totally out of your control. Hence why I now use the train.

Doesn't matter if the ramp is all the way down. If the ship is high on a high tide and the quayside slopes the opposite way to the ramp, your front wheels are still on the down slope (when exiting the ship) when the bottom of the front bumper has reached the up slope. Depending on the severity of the angles, and how low your car is (mine wasn't very low at all) you can damage the front end.

Don't get me wrong - I used the ferries for years and insisted it was ok, but eventually I got off the ship at high tide and scuffed the front bumper quite badly. Fortunately it was a Stillen front end (flexible polyeurethane) and therefore I didn't suffer any cracks. (Which would have happened if it was fibreglass)

At the end of the day, you'll probably get away with it, but the thing that determines if you do or not is totally out of your control. Hence why I now use the train.

It does matter is the ramp is all the way down. I once came off first and the guy said to me "it's OK, come down" and CRUNCH I hit my bumper. I glanced up and him and he was looking at the French ramp operator shaking his head. The French guy then pushed a button and lowered the ramp more, enough for me to get off without damaging my car. I was less than happy.

Also, fibreglass will bend but only a certain amount. The worst I can see happening is scraping some of the paint off the underside.

...As the quayside runs downhill to the ramp....

All the ferries I've been on have been drive UP a fair whack along a concrete ramp (via a very gradual, nothing could ever scrape on it slope change) to get to roughly the right height to board the ferry. Then there is a short up/down ramp bit where you actually get on to the ferry, the angle of which is dependant on the tide and although it sometimes looks severe I've never had an issue. No evil down-meets-up 'V' bits as a result.

Maybe it's a Speedferries issue, I've only ever been P&O (never again, full of pikey chavs and the boat was crumbing away in areas!) or Norfolk Line (nice, clean, sorted). :)

Are we safe to assume the OP meant Dover to Calais? And if so are we talking P&O or SeaFrance? SeaFrance is better IMO for the ramps but P&O have better boats.

I usually travel with Norfolk Line, Dover -> Dunkerque. I think I'd go that way even if Calais was more direct for my ultimate destination because the boats are so much nicer (and often cheaper tickets, too).

gaz u mentioned the tunnell any ramps there? ive got a low veilside and scrap all the time..

Only if you end up going upstairs, if you stay downstairs (and you should automatically when they see it's a low car but ask anyway) then it's perfectly flat. :thumbs: