The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPS segmented flywheel

RobSheffield

flywheel type and happiness with it (multi choice)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. flywheel type and happiness with it (multi choice)

I've got the rps segmented flywheel and the rps stage 3 6 puck clutch which i've been running for about 2 years now and I think its great, never had a problem with it. Althought it does put a strain on the standard OEM parts if they are getting old. I just manage to snap the clutch release arm about a month ago.

ther is an increased noise but you get used to it

I aslo have the rps seg'd flywheel and 6 puck clutch.

It makes a terrible racket when the box is warm but the feel is good.

When i fisrt drove the car it was a pain to drive and always stalling.

Its still has its moments in traffic but quite drivable.

I would not run this clutch and flywheel combo if i was using it as a daily drive.

Pansies :D

I've got an OSG with a lightened flywheel and use it as an every day driver. I just walk round in circles now :)

Any aftermarket clutch to hold power is going to be stiffer and snappier than you're used to but you get used to it quickly. The flywheel doesn't make a world of difference to the driving experience but it will make it noisy and some people just can't put up with that. I'm still getting used to it.

I won't beat around the bush, with my OSG in the gearbox is incredibly noisy. If you put it under load, at 1300-1800rpm then it will sound exactly like somebody has just unloaded a spanner set in your gearbox and set it to '40C Fast Spin'!

If you do this up a road with high walls or buildings on either side then a worried look will appear on the face of yourself and anybody within a few hundred metres of your car..

I have an RPS Lightened Flywheel with their street pressure plate and 6puk clutch plate, I'd say their pressure plate is very similar to stock, with the 6Puk giving you the either on or off feel, once your used to it, it can be slippable in traffic but not as easy as stock - although I'd say their pressure plate is

My car doesnt really make the noise, but I've heard sups that are pretty loud, to the unkowledgable it sounds like your engines' on its way out:d

I noticed a massive amount of difference at BPU - I was skeptical at first, but I doubt there would be much difference while driving a single unless your on track, but every little helps;)

I would do it again - but buy from one of my U.S suppliers so its cheaper!!

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

I had the RPS clutch/lightened flywheel combo and I never heard anything :shrug: (could've been because of my bilaterally impaired hearing/playing loud music)

You can be right ... I never turn on my radio as I want to listen to the sound of my Supe... maybee I should try with some heavy music to make the flywheel noice disappear :D