The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new oil filter & oil changed & now smoke.

Guest reflex

Guest reflex

hi all, i have a stock 1995 jspec auto tt, just had new oil & fliter changed at my local garage, magnatec was previously used. I said i wanted decent oil so they used mobile super s 10w 40, now when i start the car from cold i get a small puff of blue smoke, is this because of the oil they used, or are the valve stem oil seals on their way out. thanks for any help:)

Guest reflex

ive check oil level and it is very slightly over filled by about eight of an inch on the dip stick, is it ok to drive like this? thanks again for ur help.

Guest reflex

quick update, drained some oil off, just under half a litre, now the level is correct, will drive short run in a bit and see if it smokes tomorrow. thanks again

If the magnatec was 15w40 then it's going to be thicker or have an increased viscosity when the engine is cold compared to 10w40.

10w40 is more likely to leak past your valve stem oil seals when the engine is cold.

1/8 or 3mm overfill, I would be surprised if this has caused the smoke.

Edited by merckx (see edit history)