The mkiv Supra Owners Club

German driving

supradibbs

Some off you may know i have been working in Germany now for about 6 months and in the last 2 weeks have covered nearly 1700km on the roads here

I drove this morning From Leipzig in the far east to Ramstein Airforce Base about 150km south off Frankfurt a total of nearly 600km.

The jorney took about 6 hours inc a stop, i have too say the German roads are amazing not just for the fact that alot off the road have no speed restriction (you cant help but grin passing a police car at 240kms and knowning its legal!!!)

Apart from a serious accident about a hour from my destination the traffic only slowed for road works even then kept moving at 80!!!!

Only saw 2 police cars the whole way!!!!

The views are breathtaking.

So my advice is get on the next boat bring the supra you will have a blast.

Just sad that i did not have my supra with me but cant complain had one off these.

2008_mercedes_c_class_photoshop_estate_coupe_1.jpg

yeah I do like the way the traffic flows in germany.

In the UK we have big problems like lane disciplin coupled with constant fear of creeping over the slow 70mph speed limit (very slow for modern day cars).

In the uk there are ALWAYS roads works, even though the roads often do not need them.... most times it is HA agency companies having to spend their yearly budget.. so they 'create' works that don't really need doing a lot of the time.

I remember a few years ago driving the full length of Germany in one day... doing the same distance in the UK would have been impossible.

and you still haven't visited me wayne!

German roads are great...but the thing is...everyone is driving fast.

You got diesel volkswagens, audis and whatnot who are doing over 200kmh an hour so you need to haul some serious ass to stay in front of them.

The best road is the four lane autobahn between Frankfurt and Darmstadt. It used to be a high-speed race track in the 1930's but after the war they made it a public road w/o speed limit.

and you still haven't visited me wayne!

German roads are great...but the thing is...everyone is driving fast.

You got diesel volkswagens, audis and whatnot who are doing over 200kmh an hour so you need to haul some serious ass to stay in front of them.

The best road is the four lane autobahn between Frankfurt and Darmstadt. It used to be a high-speed race track in the 1930's but after the war they made it a public road w/o speed limit.

i will give you a shout when am in Frankfurt next, i dont really go there much these days

One thing that I've wondered about the unlimited roads in Germany, presumably their lorries are limited to the same sort of speed ours are (around 100kmh isn't it). Which means there's a huge difference between the lorry's speed, and the speed of the cars around them.

Are there many brown trouser moments with people having to break hard to avoid lorries overtaking lorries etc? Obviously the 70mph speed limit here is very outdated, but one of the main reasons I wouldn't want to see it changed is the difference between the fastest cars and the slowest ones.... but if the Germans can do it...............?

One thing that I've wondered about the unlimited roads in Germany, presumably their lorries are limited to the same sort of speed ours are (around 100kmh isn't it). Which means there's a huge difference between the lorry's speed, and the speed of the cars around them.

Are there many brown trouser moments with people having to break hard to avoid lorries overtaking lorries etc? Obviously the 70mph speed limit here is very outdated, but one of the main reasons I wouldn't want to see it changed is the difference between the fastest cars and the slowest ones.... but if the Germans can do it...............?

As far as I know,the speed limit for all the lorries is on all motorways 90km/h..On some of the motorways they're not even allowed..About85% of the lorries are limited around that figure anyway(between 89 and 92) so that's about the speed on the ''slow lane''.:p A few mates are driving international transp trucks and I've been''hitchiking'' a few times with them so I'm pretty sure I'm right... but...I still stand to b corrected :)

Edited by kint (see edit history)

My company has two factories, one in Dortmund and another next to the motorsport arena in Oscherslaben (sp). I remember the minibus going back to the airport travelling at silly speeds but being overtaken by nearly everything.

A black 911 came past us and I wondered if it could take off at that speed.......:D Typical Germans, doing things way better than the British again.......:blink:

H.