The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota replacement for V160 gearbox oil

keener

I have been trying to get hold of some V160 gearbox oil but established it has been discontinued by Toyota (at least in this country) and I found so much contradicting advice on an alternative I went round to see Steve Manley at my local Toyota dealership.

He did some searching and found that Toyota now do a direct replacement which they recommend. Its called Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid Type T IV (part number 08886-82025). It's a locally sourced (European) replacement for V160 which they use in the Rav gearbox apparently. He also advised that I should always use stock gearbox oil.

It only comes in 5l bottles and is £41.37 + VAT + delivery.

Hope that helps clear up any 'I can't get any V160' problems!:)

I have been trying to get hold of some V160 gearbox oil but established it has been discontinued by Toyota (at least in this country) and I found so much contradicting advice on an alternative I went round to see Steve Manley at my local Toyota dealership.

He did some searching and found that Toyota now do a direct replacement which they recommend. Its called Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid Type T IV (part number 08886-82025). It's a locally sourced (European) replacement for V160 which they use in the Rav gearbox apparently. He also advised that I should always use stock gearbox oil.

It only comes in 5l bottles and is £41.37 + VAT + delivery.

Hope that helps clear up any 'I can't get any V160' problems!:)

whifbitz has it in stock v160 i mean:D

£25 per litre or £9.72 per litre for the equivalent stuff - both from Toyota? No disrespect to Whifbitz but it's nice to have alternatives. It's your choice.

there has been many many discusions on here about a v160 replacement oil, and none have come up with enough proof to steer me away from it, at the end of the day £50 every couple of years for peace of mind works for me:D after having a 6 speed conversion and the box lasting a few thousand miles:blink: (not sure what oil was in it), i bought a brand new box, it has v160 oil in it and will always have v160;)

Need gearbox oil this weekend. Paul Whiffin is away until 25th, so i need replacement to toyota 160 oil. I have now seeked through forums, any advice on these?

1. "EXXONMOBIL techical help" suggested Mobil ATF 220 (dextron 2) type oil, because it is compatible with "old transmissions" that require Dextron 2 type oil. They also said that it is unvise to use new fully synthetic ATF oils, because "if manual says dextron 2, then it`s better to use d2"

2. Forums also suggest bmw MTF-LS-2... but bmw transmission is not same as toyota getrag :blink:

3. Or toyota ATF type IV?

What i should use?