The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rant about mileage........

jonahjones26

Here's my little rant........i am/was trying to sell my supra which is in excellent condition all around all history inc jap history etc etc pretty much everything new on the car...blaa...bla!

anyways,

the feed back i got was that the only reason they will not buy is the mileage and they have been to see others with..30k/37k/46k

so i went and viewed some of these n/a's and found they were in poor condition on the inside and okay on the outside engine's looked like they had done more mileage but i am far from being an expert...........the drive is nothing like mine and alot of rattles etc and when i asked for history i got maybe 1 or 2 services reciepts nothing from japan no verified mileage and only the most recent mot's.

I believe alot of these imports are clocked... not all and i am not saying its impossble to own a low mileage supra i know alot of you keep them hidden away for specail events etc.

So just watch out when you are buying and make sure you get the import doc's which show the milage in japan or better still jap service history.

Right i am off to get my car clocked and throw away all service history :)

Something I've noticed for years mate, so many imports have silly low miles on them and incomplete paperwork / history and therefore can't be verified.

It seems stupid that buyers of imports are accepting it as genuine milage when a similar UK spec with that few miles on would be met with calls for all the paperwork to verify it?

People like low mileage cars, that's why the importers roll back the numbers ;)

True

Something I've noticed for years mate, so many imports have silly low miles on them and incomplete paperwork / history and therefore can't be verified.

It seems stupid that buyers of imports are accepting it as genuine milage when a similar UK spec with that few miles on would be met with calls for all the paperwork to verify it?

You're correct if that was a uk car know body would touch it without the right paperwork!

Edited by jonahjones26 (see edit history)

People get hung up on certain things with a car sale.

I'm sure I did myself no favours being totally honest in the advert for my car when I said the car had a little rust and a very small oil leak. People see that as an issue and will simply go elsewhere. Same thing with mileage. People have in mind that they want the lowest mileage possible and if you mileage exceeds that then straight away it's a problem. Even if that mileage cannot be substantiated...

People get hung up on certain things with a car sale.

I'm sure I did myself no favours being totally honest in the advert for my car when I said the car had a little rust and a very small oil leak. People see that as an issue and will simply go elsewhere. Same thing with mileage. People have in mind that they want the lowest mileage possible and if you mileage exceeds that then straight away it's a problem. Even if that mileage cannot be substantiated...

But if your car is in excellent nick with verified mileage and every tiny or major thing done and worked on with proof, surely that wouldn't be a problem...

When i was in the middle of purchasing a TT, i saw the one i have now, went through all the paperwork and service history, the SVA, mileage verification,

the japenese certificate of authenticity...everything!

I dont think there are many car's out there now that shall we are 'honest'

The only down fall was the mileage but nevermind, i dont clock up many miles a year anyway...:)

Edited by SilverSoop (see edit history)

But if your car is in excellent nick with verified mileage and every tiny or major thing done and worked on with proof, surely that wouldn't be a problem...

When i was in the middle of purchasing a TT, i saw the one i have now, went through all the paperwork and service history, the SVA, mileage verification,

the japenese certificate of authenticity...everything!

I dont think there are many car's out there now that shall we are 'honest'

The only down fall was the mileage but nevermind, i dont clock up many miles a year anyway...:)

Yeah endless reciepts inc previous owner and jap owners service books stamped.

Does mileage matter if looked after properly?

I am keeping now so will only be used for a spin on a sunday afternoon.

Yeah endless reciepts inc previous owner and jap owners service books stamped.

Does mileage matter if looked after properly?

I am keeping now so will only be used for a spin on a sunday afternoon.

I wouldnt of said so as long as it is not something stupid like 180,000 miles lol...:D

I mean i bought mine with 83,000 on the clock and because i knew it had been looked after and been serviced every 4,500 km according to the service history,

i knew that she was a good one to buy...:)

Apart from the bloody gearbox! (Long story!)

I just bought my gtr 2 months ago and ven though it was not my first color choice i bought it because of its low mileage.

It came with jap service stickers on the inside of passenger door and a jap mileage certificate showing only 54.000km.

In brum clocking has been going on for ages and makes a pretty penny for some and funnily enough someone will buy it without any questions asked.

Here's my little rant........i am/was trying to sell my supra which is in excellent condition all around all history inc jap history etc etc pretty much everything new on the car...blaa...bla!

anyways,

the feed back i got was that the only reason they will not buy is the mileage and they have been to see others with..30k/37k/46k

so i went and viewed some of these n/a's and found they were in poor condition on the inside and okay on the outside engine's looked like they had done more mileage but i am far from being an expert...........the drive is nothing like mine and alot of rattles etc and when i asked for history i got maybe 1 or 2 services reciepts nothing from japan no verified mileage and only the most recent mot's.

I believe alot of these imports are clocked... not all and i am not saying its impossble to own a low mileage supra i know alot of you keep them hidden away for specail events etc.

So just watch out when you are buying and make sure you get the import doc's which show the milage in japan or better still jap service history.

Right i am off to get my car clocked and throw away all service history :)

You are spot on in your suspicions, in my opinion.

As well as the mileage thing, buyers of imports need to get over this "fresh import" mentality. There's nothing fresh about the fact that your used car just came from Japan instead of the UK!

Fancy going for a drive on Sunday afternoon then? :D

(What's the Mon-Sat runabout?)

haven't got one just gone for the works pool car instead was going to get a new car but i am tight so didn't bother keeps costs down.

I just bought my gtr 2 months ago and ven though it was not my first color choice i bought it because of its low mileage.

It came with jap service stickers on the inside of passenger door and a jap mileage certificate showing only 54.000km.

In brum clocking has been going on for ages and makes a pretty penny for some and funnily enough someone will buy it without any questions asked.

thats not all that goes on in brum! ;)

I personally don't see the hang-up people have about low mileage cars. If anything, I'd prefer a car with closer to average mileage. The amount of low mileage cars I've seen that have fallen to bits because of lack of use is crazy. Things go dry, sieze and perish when they're not used and it does cars no favours.

As long as the car is in good condition and has been well looked after it makes no difference.

My UK car had over 100k on the clock when I bought it, and it is still fine at well over 120k. It's been regularly serviced and looked after and so is fine.