The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im getting my engine polished! Cant wait!

SilverSoop

Hi all, i can't wait, i have saved up for ages and i cant wait to get this done!

Im going to get my supe in next month with Paul Whiffin and have my engine looking nicely polished like an engine should do!

Also, im going to have a full major service so that she's running right again!

It's probably going to cost around the £1200 mark for the major service and the engine to be polished, oh well...:D

Question though, whats the best cleaner to keep the engine loooking impressive once it's been polished??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

invest in a good metal polish and some sealant/wax in order to keep a protective barrier on the items, im not talking about 7quid turtlewax either, invest in some good quality wax

A good example would be Zymol carbon, raceglaze 55, around the 60quid price for both

invest in a good metal polish and some sealant/wax in order to keep a protective barrier on the items, im not talking about 7quid turtlewax either, invest in some good quality wax

A good example would be Zymol carbon, raceglaze 55, around the 60quid price for both

Hmm ok, where can you buy that stuff from?? :)

I disagree, it's insanity to use products like that in the engine bay.

Get some Collinite 850 Liquid Metal Wax:

http://www.shipshapenorfolkltd.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=850_2

It's designed for use on boats, protects metal against sea water and general horror, it's cheap, it does the job and it's easy to use, there is absolutely no point at all in using a wax designed for visual impact when products like this exist.

The 915 Marque D'Elegance and the 476s Super Double Coat are very good for use on the car generally too, very reasonable prices and excellent, long-lasting, results IMO.

It's designed for use on boats, protects metal against sea water and general horror, it's cheap, it does the job and it's easy to use, there is absolutely no point at all in using a wax designed for visual impact when products like this exist.

The 915 Marque D'Elegance and the 476s Super Double Coat are very good for use on the car generally too, very reasonable prices and excellent, long-lasting, results IMO.

Ah thats a much better price, ok, i can order it from the website but does anyone know if you can buy it in a shop, just out of interest??

Thanks for that Michael...:)

Ah thats a much better price, ok, i can order it from the website but does anyone know if you can buy it in a shop, just out of interest??

Thanks for that Michael...:)

I've never seen it in any shops but if you live near the sea the boat places might have it (or similar)?

You could check with the site above to see if they know of any stockists in your area, they are the main distrubution company for it AFAIK.

Edit: They do free delivery, I hadn't noticed that, I'll be ordering some bits now :)

Without preaching you realise that it is a serious commitment when you have your engine bay polished. If it is a daily driver you will need to keep it clean every week or it will start to tarnish !

Ask some of the guys with polished bays and they will tell you it is a lot of upkeep.

Invest in a good metal polish something like "brilliant" or "alu magic" will do the job of keeping the shine while a wax or sealant on top will keep the salt and grime at bay for a week or so - repeat ad infinitum.

Use sponge applicators to apply the polish and a good quality soft mop to remove it none of this old t shirt business.

Enjoy :)

I've never seen it in any shops but if you live near the sea the boat places might have it (or similar)?

You could check with the site above to see if they know of any stockists in your area, they are the main distrubution company for it AFAIK.

Edit: They do free delivery, I hadn't noticed that, I'll be ordering some bits now :)

Well there we go then, happy days...:D

I'll be definetely ordering from them as after all the money spent, i'll be looking to keep my engine looking spotless...:)

Without preaching you realise that it is a serious commitment when you have your engine bay polished. If it is a daily driver you will need to keep it clean every week or it will start to tarnish !

Ask some of the guys with polished bays and they will tell you it is a lot of upkeep.

Invest in a good metal polish something like "brilliant" or "alu magic" will do the job of keeping the shine while a wax or sealant on top will keep the salt and grime at bay for a week or so - repeat ad infinitum.

Use sponge applicators to apply the polish and a good quality soft mop to remove it none of this old t shirt business.

Enjoy :)

Ok thanks for that, so what do i use then?? What Michael suggested or what your goodself suggested??

What sealant/wax would you recommend colsoop??

Do i use the sealant/wax first and then apply the metal polish or was it the other way around??

The reason im asking is because i dont want to bugger up an expensive job! :D

Ok thanks for that, so what do i use then?? What Michael suggested or what your goodself suggested??

What sealant/wax would you recommend colsoop??

Do i use the sealant/wax first and then apply the metal polish or was it the other way around??

The reason im asking is because i dont want to bugger up an expensive job! :D

I have no experience with what Micahel has suggested, if it is a product he is happy with then give it a try.

Use the sealant afterwards to protect the shine on a wet cloth.

I used to use a product called Klasse sealant glaze only a tiny amount is needed.

I believe it trades under a different name now of "Carlack"

This stuff: HERE

I have no experience with what Micahel has suggested, if it is a product he is happy with then give it a try.

Use the sealant afterwards to protect the shine on a wet cloth.

I used to use a product called Klasse sealant glaze only a tiny amount is needed.

I believe it trades under a different name now of "Carlack"

This stuff: HERE

Ok, will do, thanks colsoop...:)

This may sound silly but when applying the sealant, do you apply it onto the cloth first or the metal or does it not make a difference??

Yeah alright... :D

You will see an increase in engine bay temps also with a polished bay so be prepared for that, I have a noticable increse now things are polished/chromed, not good for power but fine for a show car ;)

That surprises me, id have thought it would have been the other way round.