The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Wanted for Rally!

Guest swingburner

Guest swingburner

Hi Guys,

Ok, I was obsessed with entering the Gumball 3000 rally with a suped up supra to cream all over the lambos and other ridiculously prices cars until now, where you need a mortgage to just pay for the entry fee!

Quite disappointed, I looked around on the net and found the modball rally, http://www.modball.com. Very cheap to enter and looks very good fun. So my question...

After doing some research, I want an automatic, twin turbo aerotop. Is this the GZ import 95 - 97? What are the manual options, as auto is not essential? Whats the best UK spec model with aerotop to overhaul to get the best performance?

I will completely rebuilding the car including totally overhauling the engine so I need a "blank canvas" It can have engine failure, scruffy interior, etc. Just as long as the chassis is sound and the vehicles not been written off.

Also, are these cars pretty reliable or is it possible I'm gonna be stuck in the middle of Eastern Europe with some crazy problem I can't get fixed?

Hi Guys,

Ok, I was obsessed with entering the Gumball 3000 rally with a suped up supra to cream all over the lambos and other ridiculously prices cars until now, where you need a mortgage to just pay for the entry fee!

Quite disappointed, I looked around on the net and found the modball rally, http://www.modball.com. Very cheap to enter and looks very good fun. So my question...

After doing some research, I want an automatic, twin turbo aerotop. Is this the GZ import 95 - 97? What are the manual options, as auto is not essential? Whats the best UK spec model with aerotop to overhaul to get the best performance?

I will completely rebuilding the car including totally overhauling the engine so I need a "blank canvas" It can have engine failure, scruffy interior, etc. Just as long as the chassis is sound and the vehicles not been written off.

Also, are these cars pretty reliable or is it possible I'm gonna be stuck in the middle of Eastern Europe with some crazy problem I can't get fixed?

Given that you say you want it cheap, I'd stop right there....

Supra mods aren't cheap....

The UK's aren't available in aerotop.....

Guest swingburner
Given that you say you want it cheap, I'd stop right there....

Supra mods aren't cheap....

The UK's aren't available in aerotop.....

No, sorry, I meant I don't wanna be payin thousands for a supra modded by someone else. I know they're not cheap to mod, the budget is quite healthy for this project.

Guest swingburner
Hi and welcome, i'm sure a few more of the other memebrs will provide you with a few more bits of advise but if you want to blank canvas and build a powerful engine

look for a N/a areotop 5 speed maual and drop a TT in it :)

Thanks, you mean just look for a standard non-turbo model aerotop and modify it to twin turbo? i maybe wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the conversion wont be stable unless the original is a TT? may have been bollocks, but just checking all things.

I believe I'm correct in saying that no RHD supras ever left the factory with both an Aerotop, Twin Turbo, and a Manual gearbox. so unless you plan on dropping in a (very sought after and therefore expensive) 6 speed, then you'll have to settle for an auto.

but yes the GZ aero is the one you want (these are quite a rare beasty too) however as luck would have it there are 2 for sale at this very moment. one is a Cat C write off, the other priced circa 10K

Mike

Hi Guys,

if you cant afford that i wouldnt bother trying to get a supra to that spec. Your gonna spend just as much.

After doing some research, I want an automatic, twin turbo aerotop.

They did make these. but they are rare. and will cost at least 12k for one without mods

What are the manual options,

No manual aeros were made unless its a europen/US spec which will be right hand drive. Unless its been converted and thats 3k minimum, 6 speed boxes are not cheep!

Whats the best UK spec model with aerotop to overhaul to get the best performance?

Uk models are quite rare now. They were only available in hard top twin turbo. and 90% were auto. Manuals are very rare and again its going to be 10-12k for one, my auto cost me 7.5k and that was cheep for its condition.

As mentioned above. Starting from a blank canvas to beat a lambo will not be cheep by any stretch of the imagination.

If its a single turbo conversion then maybe (if you want to compete with a lambo it will be) I would assume getting parts in eastern europe quickly isnt easy

Happy to help

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

Thanks, you mean just look for a standard non-turbo model aerotop and modify it to twin turbo? i maybe wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the conversion wont be stable unless the original is a TT? may have been bollocks, but just checking all things.

Thats bollocks as far as i know. the TT and the NA aero shells are more or less identicle i think?:Popcorn:

yeah you can get them. I think do-luck did them. And if i wasn running a rally like above in an aero id want a full cage put in there. That might help if your worried about wobble. But the TT and the NA would suffer the same ammount anyway i think

Guest swingburner
if you cant afford that i wouldnt bother trying to get a supra to that spec. Your gonna spend just as much.

They did make these. but they are rare. and will cost at least 12k for one without mods

No manual aeros were made unless its a europen/US spec which will be right hand drive. Unless its been converted and thats 3k minimum, 6 speed boxes are not cheep!

Uk models are quite rare now. They were only available in hard top twin turbo. and 90% were auto. Manuals are very rare and again its going to be 10-12k for one, my auto cost me 7.5k and that was cheep for its condition.

As mentioned above. Starting from a blank canvas to beat a lambo will not be cheep by any stretch of the imagination.

If its a single turbo conversion then maybe (if you want to compete with a lambo it will be) I would assume getting parts in eastern europe quickly isnt easy

Happy to help

Haha - thanks for all the info! Well, entry to Gumball is £60k! I don't plan on spending that much on a supra - thats for sure... Will have a look round for the GZ aerotop auto.

Haha - thanks for all the info! Well, entry to Gumball is £60k! I don't plan on spending that much on a supra - thats for sure... Will have a look round for the GZ aerotop auto.

Ask JamieP how much he spent on his. That beat a Zonda at one point im sure... Im also sure it was more than 60k :p

Guest swingburner
Okay, realistically, what is your budget?

Well, at a very rough figure - maybe 25k in total.

I estimated about 10k for the car, 6k for engine overhaul and mod, spending the rest on paint job, interior, other running gear and suspension. does this sound workable?

Well, at a very rough figure - maybe 25k in total.

I estimated about 10k for the car, 6k for engine overhaul and mod, spending the rest on paint job, interior, other running gear and suspension. does this sound workable?

I reckon i've spent about 15K - 20K getting my car to where it is and only now is it about properly ready (and going to be running 700bhp).

£6k is a mere drop in the ocean to achieve the performance you want.

sorry

Edited by Gruggs (see edit history)

Guest MatthewsSupra

Im definitely going to enter this rally... looks mental! thanks guys for posting! turns out my friend entered the 2008 Modball Rally and had the time of his life!!

Bring on 2009!

MM