The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suggestions for engine swap (V10, V8, V6, etc)

Dann

I am going to start a new thread for this with a more approiate (not sure how you spell that) name. Will post the dyno print and how far i have got to in that thread.

The engine swaps there was some random things thrown up in to the mix but for now the fav is the Soarer v8 engine.

But some suggestions were

V10 SRT

Chevvy V8 with super charger

Soarer v8

the normal tt supra swap

looking at other 6cylinder engines and there is not may other good ones out there the skyline engine, the gto engine also a cosworth v6 lump but nothing amazing or as sound as the supra engine for a 6 cylinder

can you guys suggest any decent engines ?

Edited by Homer
Copied above from closed thread in Members (see edit history)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can get a SRT 8.0ltr v10 engine mopar tuned brand new for about 5k with shipping charges, but its the fit ment and plumming side of things.

Can get a working great condition Soarer V8 with all extras and ecu for £600 from this country

Not looked into cost of others yet

First off, what is your budget? If it's anything non 2JZ, you will need a considerable amount of money to even consider it

The viper engine will not physically fit, plus it's very heavy and weight distribution would be terrible (edit, where the heck can you can an engine and box delivered to your door for £5k :blink: )

Cosworth V6 a waste of time and money

Toyota V8 is a possible, easier to fit apparently, but very expensive to get anything from and very little support in the UK

RB26 - no point as the 2JZGTE is more modifiable and far simpler to fit

GTO - haha, you have to be kidding!

A 2JZGTE swap would make the most sense both cost, ease of fitting, parts availabilty and performance wise.

An LS1 with T56 would be something new for the supra and is what I'm still aiming for. The conversion costs are very high, but the results and performance should be on par with a small single 2JZ.

Oh and what is your aim for the car? Quick road car, drag carm show car, track car, etc...

This is key in making a correct and informed decision. If you're considering a bog standard Soarer V8, I guess it's just a motorwat cruiser? They're not particularly powerful, not modificable without great expense

I am thinking I want a car that is usable for day to day but I want it to be able to shift like hell when i want to put my foot down.

And there is nothing wrong with a GTO engine Thats my pride and joy in my garage is my Mitsi GTO TT with twin td05 turbos and many more mods, I know the stupid guys at mitsi put the engine in wrong way round but it was fun building the gto back up.

Yes i agree with the v10 its looks to big and heavy. If you key in google SRT engines there is a place in america that has them new for like $9000 so our exchange rate + some extra means about 5k ish i rekon could be wrong.

Skyline engine nope

And supra engine yes its most sensable and its a tried and tested.

dann

Just to throw a curve ball into the mix.... how about a 1JZ-GTE out of a Soarer or JZA70 mk3 Supra? They can be had for £500 or so and are every bit as tuneable as the 2JZ-GTE. Would be incredibly easy to fit in the MKIV too...

Yeah you don't get quite as much torque as they are a 2.5 rather than 3.0 but they are incredibly revvy and smooth engines (I had a modded JZA70) that are a great base for upgrades over the standard 280bhp.

I think that's a recipe for a cheap and rapid manual Supra:

1. '93 SZ Auto

2. 1JZ-GTE

3. R154 or W58 Gearbox (both cheap, R154 stronger but W58 better feeling to use and will last pretty well with the lower torque of the 1JZ rather than when it's behind a 2JZ-GTE)

Cheers,

Brian.

And there is nothing wrong with a GTO engine Thats my pride and joy in my garage is my Mitsi GTO TT with twin td05 turbos and many more mods, I know the stupid guys at mitsi put the engine in wrong way round but it was fun building the gto back up.

Yes i agree with the v10 its looks to big and heavy. If you key in google SRT engines there is a place in america that has them new for like $9000 so our exchange rate + some extra means about 5k ish i rekon could be wrong.

Take a look at your GTO engine, then the front subframe in the supra, you'll see who it's a non-goer. They're a waste of time to get any real power out of. A 2JZTE is FAR more tunable and drops straight in, no brainer really

and for the viper engine the $9000 I could have got an LS2 and T56 for worked out to £8600 once shipping, taxes, durt and more taxes were factored in.

No i dont want to sell the car as it has a lovely kit and awesome set up.

So just change the engine is the way I want to go

I have owned a soarer with the 2.5 1jz engine in it and it was good.

many thanks so far.

Dann

Dann, one more thing to consider - insurance. Not sure of your age, but as an example, my last quote for the 550bhp single I had was £890, with a SBC V8 installed it was £850, so keep in mind the costs you'll face.

Also, if you are swapping the engine you also need to consider additonal costs such as building custom engine mounts, gearbox mounts, custom prop, getting rid of the weak NA diff. Suspension also needs to be custom made to adjust for the new weight distribution, plus much, much more.

The swap I'm working on is going to cost around £12k to complete, and thats DIYing nearly all of it, getting good low prices, etc...

I'm realy confused about this, 1st you make a forum labled 'tt killer' and state you want an NA only car to walk a TT.

Now that's you've made a seperate thread you are considering a TT? :blink:

Unless you have some serious cash to splash you are not going to fit anything like a v12 or v10, plus like homer said you will upset the weight distribution.

Only other option is a v8 lump like a 1uz or a 2uz but even then you won't have enough power without some serious custom work which again is super expensive as there is very little parts available. Once again easiest way to get power from that setup is to charge it.

Just put a TT in it, tried and tested, cheapest and easiest way period....

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

I to am also very confused by this, especially after the other thread, i am afraid that a lot of the answers you are getting both to this and the last thread are from informed people who do actually have some technical know how about engines, and are based on the information you have supplied.

I hope Chris Wilson sees this and chimes in with some expertise that you will believe, as you obviously think the rest of us are just out to get you, but you are being given good advice, good luck if you go for an option you actually have a chance of succeeding with.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SupraBoy_BG

From a long time ive been thinking for swap of RB26tt with 2JZ GTE in Skyline R 32 GTR.I know few major problems like the drive shaft coming through the oil pan of the engine.I think all this could be solved anyway and what we are having is the attessa 4WD with much stronger and potentional engine of supra.Does anyone heard of such a swap?It will be interesting as Im planing to start such a project...

Edited by SupraBoy_BG (see edit history)

• 1 year later...