The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA 6-speed box

UltraFlynn

The reason I ask is that I'm going to have a 6-speed SZ-R imported in the near future and my long-term plans are to drop in a more powerful engine in maybe 2 or 3 years time. I'd like to know that the transmission is going to be able to handle about 500bhp, which I know the V160 will.

I'd be interested to know the difference between a V160 and V161. I wonder if they can handle the same power. (I would imagine not considering it's specced to fit the NA)

Just the ratio's and apparently an uprated sync gear. They are as stong, if not stronger than the V160. They were also fitted to the TT's of the same age.

Details here on the ratios: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1167781&postcount=8

Hey, that's great news. That's for the info.

I have a question about gear ratios though,

What difference will the Diff/Final Drive ratio make if the UK TT has 3.133 and NA 3.769?

What affect does that actually have? (Please excuse my ignorance on this)

Again, Alex has done the hard work on this: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=29830

Very useful links these!

Basically, the closer the diff ratio is to 1:1, the higher the speed in each gear, at the cost of acceleration, the further away, the quicker the acceleration, at the cost of speed in each gear

it will max out at 'low' speed........

The ratios of a NA are set to best use the relatively low power available.......ie there is no point having gearing to allow almost 200mph (like the TT has) when the engine can only really power it to 150ish mph.

So if you don't adjust the diff on your NA you will be bouncing off the limiter in 6th at 150-155mph, and the time spent in the gears gettign there will be short, 1st will be a handful (its bad enough in stock TT's) and 2nd 3rd and 4th will go in the blink of an eye if you plant your foot, you'll be forever changing gear i'd imagine :)

Note whilst the gearbox is the same the clutch and flywheel aren't afaik.

Note whilst the gearbox is the same the clutch and flywheel aren't afaik.

The same question was asked quite recently and I believe the conclusion from a couple of people was that the clutch and flywheel on the V161 SZ-R is the same as the one used in the TT's.

I don't know one way or the other, but just recall seeing it mentioned a couple of times.

The same question was asked quite recently and I believe the conclusion from a couple of people was that the clutch and flywheel on the V161 SZ-R is the same as the one used in the TT's.

I don't know one way or the other, but just recall seeing it mentioned a couple of times.

If it's true then that's good news.