The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-TT driving advise

couv3z

Hi one and all

I'm havin my n/a replaced with a stock j spec TT, i've never driven a turbo car before let alone a turbo RWD car :D

can a get a little advise on how lively the car is going to be?

when would the second turbo kick in so i don't end up sidewise round a round about?

With my car being a SZ i clearly have no TC or LSD i will imagen the wet will be fun

any advise is appericated :)

no he isnt!!

e.g: in 2nh gear and once the needle starts working his way up the rev range you will have wheel spin at aroung 4k when 2nd turbo kicks in!! it is insane!! and nice!!

dont worry, be happy... take it easy i learn you car again!! you will love it!!

ohh i have 19" with 275!! :)

If you are having this engine fitted stay off BPU to begin with and get used to the stock engines power then when you are happy remove the cats and go BPU.

The stock car is not agressive when the 2nd tubby kicks in so you will be fine. It isn't the monster that is claimed with common sense you can make good progress without spinning the wheels, just be careful when the car is under load in a corner the extra torque will step the back out !

Make sure the tyres you have are up to the new job they have now

I've had mine for just over a year now and I'm still a bit apprehensive driving in the wet, can take a while to build up the confidence to give it some. On dry roads it's fine but as already said you are best not trying to accelerate round corners :)

Again as Col already mentioned you really do need good tyres.

Yeah stay off the turbos on the corners at first until you're familiar with the power delivery (I remember my first blast off the traffic lights and into a mild corner in 2-3rd gear = fishtailing, tankslapper etc). In the wet I'd recommmend staying off the turbos alway in the corners. :)

had mine spin up today at 55, and i got brand new falken 452's 265/18s on the duelcarraigeway, just take it steady and wait for some dry weather before giving it the beans

brand new tyres can be very slippery and take a while to bite properly as they need wearing in a little.

Turn your sense of self preservation on and don't drive like a wazok. If you can handle an N/A its not a huge leap of faith to the TT. I had more brown trouser moments in my N/A with no Trac control than I had in my BPU plus a few bits TT with RLTC. I'll be honest I only ever had one scare on the power in my TT and that was in the rain at 90 leptons in a straight line when it decided to go a bit pete tong. Be sensible and regulate your right foot. If in doubt don't accelerate simple really. I'm now in a single tubby pushing over 500 horses with no TC and so far have yet to come across a OMG moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it is first turbine you should be carefull with. Second one on stock engine is going in quite soft. First turbo will start spooling at 1500rpm and from there it's getting very quick :p You shouldn't really be afraid about acceleration, be rather carefull with SPEED. I found, that from the time I swapped engine in my, I'm using my brakes WAY more then when she was NA.

Wet weather is where it will have you. I got used to mine in no time and i was BPU+ from day 1 mine will easiler light up the rears in the dry in second all the way to the limiter 3rd traction is good unless im abit violent with the clutch..

Goodluck with it and enjoy it its a great feeling i cant get enough of mine it was quite cold last night and the turbos seemed to love that haha was pulling so hard but quite scary at the same time once you get the hang of it i highly recommend going BPU it transforms the car.

TTs aren't that scary, if the back end can snap out sideways on a zero camber straight road I reckon your geo is out. Since I had its geo done, if my single lets go -on the rare occasion that it does- it does so in a straight line, before that it would snap round and could be very unpredictable.

Getting used to a big jump in power, just be warey, and be careful not to accidentally/otherwise boot it through bends when you're not used to when the 2nd turbo's power arrives, especially if BPU. A jump from (for arguments sake) 250bhp to 330bhp in the matter of 500revs can upset the cars mid-bend handling quite a bit ;)

Edited by SteveR (see edit history)

I wouldnt of done mine if i didnt have ABS and LSD fitted already, not many NA's come with that.

I would consider selling up and buying a TT if i was in that situation i was just told mine was a very good base model for the conversion because of these things what didnt help is all the money i spent on the bodywork :D

No need for all the driving aids just take your time when it feels right.

You know when its raining dont drive fast isnt that just kind of obvious?

I had a NA-TT/BPU done about 2 months ago now and i love it. Just dont push too much in the corners until you get used to it in the dry