The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I need some info !

Hemanhead

Ive seen all the vids on youtube and ive been trying to gather as much info as i can. But what i want to know is how much does it cost to make about an 800wrhp Supra (I know they can be alot more powerful, but i dont have that sort of cash spare for a project :p) and exactly how reliable is it, can you use it day to day or does it need constant maintenance ? Any info is appreciated or sites with info, supra meets etc. Thanks.

To be properly reliable about 50K (seriously), if you have to ask don't even dream about such figures. The Yanks claim all sorts, but they mainly do 1/4 mile drag runs once in a blue moon. To have that sort of power in a track car, reliably, will entail a total modification programme encompassing the whole car. 500 engine BHP can be achieved for about half of that, done properly, by a professional outfit, much less than that figure and you get something unreliable, or with not really 500 HP, bodged or capable only of flash readings, with luck, on a good day.

For once Chris might even be a bit conservative :D

Some members here have spent £50k+ developing thir cars and to date I don't think a single one has got anywhere near 800rwhp and certainly not in a reliable state (i.e lasts more than a few dozen drag runs)

all very well when you know this information, which is why im here, to find out a bit more, find out how much and where the money goes, find out if its worth it. Plenty of things that i know which you wouldnt have a clue about chaps, im not a 15 year old on a pipe dream, just a man on a mission.

Okay, so it costs alot. Where is the bulk cost of a project like this, from what ive seen, parts arent that pricey, so am i correct in assuming its the manual labour that is behind the high price tag ?

It's been covered a hundred times over, but even a self build to that level will need £10k's in parts alone. if you discount labour costs and are doing it DIY then you wouldn't need to ask such questions in the first place ;)

Unless you're a seasoned drag racer a 2JZ with anything over 500rwhp is going to be utterly hopeless on the road.

im sure it has been covered a million times over, but im not going to troll for it. Thanks for the info, ill goto some meets, talk to some people face to face see whether i think its worth it or not, id like the car, but want to be able to use it too.

800Bhp sounds a tad extreme, unless of course you are planning on using it as a drag weapon. £25k is a sh*t load of money to plough into a 15 year old car.:taped:

Why not go for or at least have a go in a fully BPU TT before resigning to pimping yourself to raise the 25k.:)

Come on, everyone on youtube knows you can just slap a big turbo on a Supra and make 800rwhp.

Big turbo, some parts from ebay, job done. How difficult could it be?

After all, we all know that an 800rwhp car is far superior to a 300rwhp one on the road/track :D

we all know that an 800rwhp car is far superior to a 300rwhp one on the road/track

Get with it Grandad. 300HP doesn't cut it nowadays.

I'm thinking: NA Supra + SuperDuperChip + couple of Turbonators - should see about 600-800wrhp. Just for my daily driver, you understand - obviously I'd need some real power for the weekends, if the budget will stretch to an extra Turbonator and a decently loud BOV.

Edited by Jake (see edit history)

Hello.

The posts above are not meant to sound harsh but us more veteran members have seen threads like this pop up on a regular basis, people claiming they are building 10 second cars 1000 hp monsters etc etc only for them to disappear in to the abysss of projects that never came to be.

If you are serious then get a coffee and troll through the old threads(it really is the best tool masses of info await ;)).

Going to a meet although worthwhile, you wont find many people with a genuine 800 hp car who can give their views.

Why 800 hp, what made you decide on this figure ?

What are your goals for the car ? is it a track day weapon, drag car, street car or a combo of the above ?

I very much doubt you will find use for 800 hp on uk roads, lots of vids on youtube show high hp supras but a lot of them tend to be stateside where they have the space for lag monster turbos.

Also check the projects section, some of the guys have listed with costs their single projects.

Have a look at Wez' car (running 500 odd hp)by all accounts it is probably the best street single turbo setup on the forum.

Good luck with it, if you do start a project, post up details with lots of pics :)