The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quiet exhaust on singles.

Pig

I had my Tanabe medallion touring fitted yesterday.

Paul test drove the car for me and AFR's have gone to 10's on boost so im assuming the exhuast is more restrictive.

I wanted to have Ryan MAP the car but im having Paul Whiffin map it now so look forward to the results when i finally get round to putting it on a dyno.

Interestingly enough Gaz1's seems to be fine and he has had the racing instead of touring fitted and rumour has it Wez's car was also fine.

Wonder why cars differ so much. Could it be a difference in mapping?

Has your EGT's gone up?

Dont know, i havent driven the car yet.

I will only get it back once mapped so we will se how it feels.

going to up the boost and see if that helps with the possible powerloss.

EGT are 850 on boost at the min.

My EGTs and AFRs remained the same with Tanabe as they were with the 3" HKS Ti/Carbon jobbie. No map tweak was needed for WOT, Ryan checked it.

Where is your EGT sensor Jon?

Just after the turbo on the decat pipe.

Mine was the HKS Carbon TI too. 90mm. Seems strange

Just after the turbo on the decat pipe.

Mine was the HKS Carbon TI too. 90mm. Seems strange

Hmmm so add ~100 degrees for the real temp? Owch. My sensor is in the same place but never once got above 750 at the 'Ring on the trip we just got back from. EDIT no it isn't mine is at the top of the downpipe, so if anything miune should read a smidge higher than yours.

What diamter downpipe have you got? Have you got any funkyness going on somewhere along the exhaust track that might restrict flow?? This seems odd.

Mine is at the top too.

I reached 950 @ marham but i think that was related to heat soak being so close to the turbo and was pushing VERY hard.

850 is a guess though im sure its much lower on a normal road pull.

Down pipe is a BL one so i imagine 3 inch. And nothing fancy in the exhaust.

It is a bit strange this, we didn't drive it in anger before we fitted the exhaust but I'm sure you know your car well. Tell you what though, its going to be a different car when you get it back especially now you can change gear!

i cant wait, i was like a virgin trying to get lucky looking for a gear.

I hope the restriction doesnt add to the lag.

I had my Tanabe medallion touring fitted yesterday.

Paul test drove the car for me and AFR's have gone to 10's on boost so im assuming the exhuast is more restrictive.

I wanted to have Ryan MAP the car but im having Paul Whiffin map it now so look forward to the results when i finally get round to putting it on a dyno.

Interestingly enough Gaz1's seems to be fine and he has had the racing instead of touring fitted and rumour has it Wez's car was also fine.

Wonder why cars differ so much. Could it be a difference in mapping?

:blink::search: i have the touring on mine, i have booked with ryan on srr to double check everything, also are you sure its the exhaust that has caused the problem and not one of the other issues you had with the car, mine seems to be exactly the same as before on the veilside ti, but will feel better after ryan has done the checks as we will be caning it against the supercars sunday:eyebrows:

I am not trying to flame, but has an one put a db meter on any of these exhaust, as without figures it is all a bit subjective as far as noise goes.

Mine was measured at the weekend at 95db at 4000rpm :D

On the Veilside Ti it was 113db at 4000rpm ;)

Nothing else has changed :tongue:

I have a BL with a custom silencer on it, on a sound test it made 110db , I put a bung in it and it went down to 95db. Jays HKS TI with a custom back box (much bigger then the original) measured 105db, i believe Wez was around 95db . I wish i can go down this route, but its to late for me as i have chopped my mp to much .

I'm struggling to see where the 'quiet' comes from other than to make the exhaust more restrictive

Personally I wouldnt see the problem of losing 30bhp as a goodwill for my neighbours e.t.c

But if it comes at the expense of egt's then its out with the earmuffs I say:D

I'm struggling to see where the 'quiet' comes from other than to make the exhaust more restrictive

The touring has two big silencers and comes in two sections.

One silencer is up where one of the stock middle boxes would be and then there is a rather large rear box.

But what is the diameter of these silencers, someone did post a pic of one of the 'quiet' tanabe's iirc and it was around 2.5inch at one point,

Terminator has the idea, but even then I dont know if its under 95db

In line mufflers being full diameter of the pipe, I intend going that route when I can get someone to fabricate me a pipe similar to my HKS Ti, I aint cutting that up