The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine Rebuild by DaveSupTT

DaveSupTT

Well as alot of you know by now, my car has been very poorly over the last 10 months or so, and rather than me woffle on whats wrong, here is the link to all my problems :rolleyes:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=139602

To sum it up, it looks like I may have a cracked piston head, possible seals gone, ring issues, fueling issues, oil leaks. And probably many other bits! :innocent:

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me answer a few of my questions so far in my other threads, they have all been useful. And believe me, over the next few months, there will be plenty more! :D

Unfortunatly, because I have no money, and everyone wants around 2k plus for a new engine and fitting, I have decided to fix my own, therfore knowing, that with any luck (cross all fingers) I will have a strong reliable engine, and in the process I will have learnt plenty!

Helping me do the work is my Dad, who has done lots of work on engines, unfortunatly not on Supras, but he seems confident! :)

Also will probably be after help now and again from my good old trusty work colleuge Mike :) (haha) aka Pixelfll!

And not forgetting everyone else on here, as I guarantee I will be looking for advise from everyone on here!!!

Just something I have to bare in mind, the Previous owner had work caried out through MaxGT :taped: and here is a link to their site which has my car as one as their Project cars!

http://maxgt.just2good.co.uk/dash.php (its over 3 pages)

So, first things first, I wanted to confirm for myself what Hyper had told me, which was I had Low compression on Cylinder 3. They said that the rest were around 200psi and the 3rd was around 52psi.

After performing the compression test myself the results are as follows - see post below.

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as alot of you know by now, my car has been very poorly over the last 10 months or so, and rather than me woffle on whats wrong, here is the link to all my problems :rolleyes:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=139602

To sum it up, it looks like I may have a cracked piston head, possible seals gone, ring issues, fueling issues, oil leaks. And probably many other bits! :(

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me answer a few of my questions so far in my other threads, they have all been useful. And believe me, over the next few months, there will be plenty more! :D

Unfortunatly, because I have no money, and everyone wants around 2k plus for a new engine and fitting, I have decided to fix my own, therfore knowing, that with any luck (cross all fingers) I will have a strong reliable engine, and in the process I will have learnt plenty!

Helping me do the work is my Dad, who has done lots of work on engines, unfortunatly not on Supras, but he seems confident! :)

Also will probably be after help now and again from my good old trusty work colleuge Mike :) (haha) aka Pixelfll!

And not forgetting everyone else on here, as I guarantee I will be looking for advise from everyone on here!!!

So, first things first, I wanted to confirm for myself what Hyper had told me, which was I had Low compression on Cylinder 3. They said that the rest were around 200psi and the 3rd was around 52psi.

After performing the compression test myself the results are as follows - see post below.

great stuff good luck with the build:d

Hopefully it should do the job, and has been reccomended!

Allows all round access to an engine, cylinder head or automatic transmission for major repairs and servicing when removed from the vehicle. The 4 multi position arms can secure a wide variety of items from different manufacturers. Strong steel construction combined with an extra wide base offers maximum stability and rigidity.

Weight capacity 340Kg

Secured item can be rotated through 360 degrees for maximum accessibility.

Wide base frame with 4 wheels for extra stability and ease of movement.

Includes a useful parts storage tray.

Dimensions (LWH) 1050 x 830 x 860mm.

Specifications may alter slightly from picture shown

stand.jpg

Hopefully it should do the job, and has been reccomended!

That's the one I have, does the job nicely. Only thing you will need is a set of bolts to bolt the engine to it. They can be hard to find as you need quite long ones - longer than the standard bolts that hold the gearbox on. I was given mine, not sure where you'd get them from otherwise.

Just a quick question for you all.

When I took out my spark clubs, I noticed there was a slight bit of oil around the thread of each of them. Is this normal, or could I have some sort of issue here?

They wernt soaked or dripping in oil, I would say is was very small amount.

Just a quick question for you all.

When I took out my spark clubs, I noticed there was a slight bit of oil around the thread of each of them. Is this normal, or could I have some sort of issue here?

They wernt soaked or dripping in oil, I would say is was very small amount.

Probably just a slightly leaky cam cover gasket - you then get a bit of oil running down into the plug wells.

Edited by Alex
Added Quote (see edit history)

Is this anything to worry about?

No not at all. If you're rebuilding the engine you'll end up changing those gaskets anyway - the full gasket kit from Toyota (which is by far the easiest way of getting all the other gaskets and stuff you'll need) comes with new ones anyway.

Repeated Compression test on No3 but with small amount of engine oil poured into cylinder. Pressure went up to 185psi.

ie Looks like either piston rings or worn cylinder.

Checked idle rev's after restarting to clear out oil = 6oo revs

Prep for engine removal:

Drained radiator

removed air filter

removed air pipe - found smearing of engine oil on all inner surfaces.

Removed front mounted intercooloer - Oil again present, an amount of oily gunge came out of one end.

Removed all pipework, all of which was seriously covered in oil.

Edited by Pixelfill
typo (see edit history)

Here are some pics I took as I was taking off the intercooler.

As stated above, there was lots of oil present!

As I was taking it off, it soon came apparent that the intercooler was only suported by the pipes connecting to it, ie it was just hanging there basically!

Im a little confused, as I have taken my FMI (pic 1) and the radiator off (see pic in next post down) but by the looks of things, I have another radiator of some sort present, which is situated in between the the new looking radiator and the intercooler. (pic 2).

Can anyone shed any light please?

intercooler.jpg

radiator.jpg

gunge from intercooler.jpg

DSCF0261.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

Edited by DaveSupTT (see edit history)