The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT tomorrow - Emergency Foglight help please!!

Jim_1979

Ok I've been doing a few things tonight for the MOT tomorrow.

I noticed that my rear foglight doesn't work!

I have a switch in the cabin which lights up when switched on and if the sidelight/headlights are on. All good.

I then went to the back of the car to check the light wiring there. I opened it all up and found these......

Two bullet connectors tied to the rear light wiring, but not connected to anything.

I'm assuming that when the previous owner changed to facelift rear lights, he didn't wire it all up again??

Anyone any idea as to where these two bullet connectors should join to??

Help! I need to get it sorted asap for tomorrow.

Cheers chaps, Jim

Righto... I connected one of the red wires to the second feed for the left hand middle light.

Switched all the switches and I had four fog lights!!!! WTF!?

So I then cut the feed from the car wiring going to that bulb.

This resulted in 4 rear lights on when lights switched on. 3 brake lights when brake pedal pressed and 1 inside fog light when the switch is switched.

I spoke to the chap at the MOT station and he said that was fine. I'm going to revert it back when I have the car back. Possibly will just put in bullet connectors so I can easily switch it back for the next MOT.

Anyone know how you sort it so there's not a 4 foglight situation?

I read this on another thread...

"The first picture shows how and why the most common mistake in this conversion is made. The original Thor diagram suggested that the Green (G), Green-and-white (Gw), and White-and-black (Wb) wires should be cut into, the most common mistake made is through cutting into the wires before they split, this results in the ever popular "4 fogs and no brakes" mod. "

I cut into the wire right where the bulb is, so why do I still have the 4 foglight issue?

Any help appreciated guys!! No replies so far.... :(

Quick question... When you do the conversion, are you supposed to have all brake lights still work as before, or only two outer ones?

I cut into the wire right where the bulb is, so why do I still have the 4 foglight issue?

Any help appreciated guys!! No replies so far.... :(

Quick question... When you do the conversion, are you supposed to have all brake lights still work as before, or only two outer ones?

When you say you cut into the wire, did you actually disconnect it from the loom side? If not, it will still be joined to the other light and, hence, 4 foglights.

If the conversion has been done properly then, when the foglight switch is off, all brake lights should work as before.

I think it's possible that the wiring you've found is for an additional 'dangly' foglight, fitted externally and possibly only put there to pass MOT (and since removed).

Hope that helps.

I didn't initially... I left it connected loom side, which gave 4 fogs. I then cut from the loom side.

I think you're right though that it's not a proper conversion, just for MOT pass.

I'll put it all witb bullet connectors so I can convert back and forth for MOT needs.