The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spark plug & coilpack connector housing change

BOB B

Just thought I would do a small thread about my spark plug change because I encoutered a few problems that some members might like to know.

My 97 TT started missfiring a bit about 3 weeks ago nothing bad just occasionally at idol or normal driving, thought it might be the spark plugs so got some new ones ( good deal from http://www.carsparkplugs.com, denso Ik 24s x 6 £51 something which was the best I found).

Did the change, not too taxing a job appart from 2 screws holding down the packs were rounded off and they took ages to remove. Two days of normal driving then started it one morning it sounded like somone dropping spanners into a tin bucket, I was pretty sure at least one cylinder was not firing.

After mucho bigo search and thanks to comments from Ian C and others I got 6 new housings from Toyota (£48.82), changed them and jobbid the pins as per Ian Cs FAQ advice, great thread by the way it went exactly as he says.

Everything great now and I am sure theres more power and quicker pick up.

Lastly though and probably most importantly whilst changing the housings I noticed that the old ones were badly broken and very brittle and a lot of bits of the housings were all around the area of the sprk plug heads. I woulg presume that if while changing the spark plugs those bits bropped into the cylinder it could cause some damage, it took me ages to clear all the bits away so be warned.

sorry to have gone on (so much for a small thread) but if one member learns something from my thread then all is well ,,, somewhere. :D :d.

Bob.

Yip... I done my plugs the other day there and just received new coilpack clips through the post today.

I'll be getting stuck in in a day or so. I know what you mean about the crap sitting around the plug holes. I didn't clean it all out, but I was just very carefull not to drop anything in there.

Hello ! envy are advertising a set on ebay six in all at £6 odd a shot, but thet said they're only for a turbo cos they have electronic ignition not the conventional dizzy cap and leads set up like on a na !! is that correct, no doubt they are , cos i'm giving my car a service soon and would rather change these at the same time, reading the above posts ! i have a na supra .

cheers bob, good read that. ive gott change my spark plugs soon put some irridiums in.. noticed that the clips had broken so need to get some more .. ive gotta be careful not to get crap in hole either cos i remeber seeing some bits of clip nearby when i got the plug out.. forgot to hoover it out...so i know what im doing 2nite lol!