The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch Pedal Return Spring

Glosphil

My clutch pedal was making an odd click feel when I press it earlier, so I stopped and had a feel around to see if I could see what it was, I wiggled the big spring on the pedal and a small piece of white plastic snapped off and the spring dropped to the floor.

Now I cant get it back on, and the click is still there.

The car drives fine, clutch feels a bit lighter but fine.

Should I be worried? What do I have to replace?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC nearly all the force to bring the clutch pedal back is from the pressure plate acting on the slave cylinder. The spring only assists to bring it back from it's bite point to the top of its travel. I don't remember seeing any white plastic components on the spring mechasim itself, but can take a look tomorrow if need be.

thanks homer, Its the part where the arm of the spring seats, there is a black piece on the pedal, and a round white piece with a bolt through it and a small spring. Its that piece that broke. Although it looks like it will still seat I cannot compress the spring to get it back on.

Had a look, the white bit seems to be the carrier for the bolt that secures the spring unit, I'd imagine it's only part broken otherwise the pedal would be flopping all over the place. It should be a £1 part from Toyota and it's pretty easy to fix (if you don't mind working upside down!)