The mkiv Supra Owners Club

servicing parts

Kirk

Ok I just need a little input on this, bout to service my mates na and in it a bit of a boggle of parts to use

1st off the oil, which serves these motors well? Castrol or something like that?

2nd. Spark plugs, again I don't want to put cheapos in there so I'm looking for a high performance set, iridium tipped or something?

And lastly the air filter, he keeps telling me he wants a k&n but I object to it cause well it isn't realy neccessary is it? Do trd or hks do a high flow filter for na's or should I go stock part?

Cheers

Plugs - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=41927

Fluids - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56684

Try Guy from Opie oils who is on here under oilman, he will advice you to the best way forward. I cant remember what im using TBH.

As for the filter, stick with a stock panel filter:)

Edited by hoff (see edit history)

Lots of "good" oils on the market.....recommend you use a semi-synthetic but do NOT under any circumstances go for the "cheap" end of the oil market........meaning the cheepos that are sold in car accessory shops.

I use Halfords semi synth in both my Supra and in my 1100cc Motorcycle(Blackbird)......Blackbird revs to 13000 Revs and has now done 66000 Miles and does not use any oil.

Again do NOT go for accessory shop oil filters, stick to OEMs it is NOT money well spent to buy these cheap ones, which generally do not function as well as their OEM counterpart.

The standard slab filter will work OK, not a lot of gain to be had fitting a K&N just a lot more noise (which some people seem to like) off the induction system.......most suppliers will quote you about a 2-4% increase in power which is debateable really......it just sounds faster.

Plugs:- Unless your gunning the engine, using it for track days etc., there is really not that much of an advantage paying the premium for iridiums. Again its like the noise off the induction system, if you think its doing good, you will be persuaded!

Make sure you fit the "right" plugs... check the OEM spec.........Plugs have different heat ranges which "match" what performance you expect from the engine, standard plugs really do work as well as any NA will require.