The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new Stubby Aerial - finished!

Pabs

Hey all,

I know it has been a bit of a hot topic at times, but from all my reading and research it was not possible to purchase a stubby aerial as suppliers were not interested, so I decided to go about it myself to make my own :)

PARTS REQUIRED

Honda S2000/Type-R Aerial - from ebay

Amplified Car Aerial - from ebay

Bracket from previous group-buys - from Burna

Custom aerial extension -custom made for me

Small piece of wire to connect +12v power - I already had some of this.

Total Cost: Approx £27 + extension

This was actually quite easy to do in the end - I actually designed the extension piece to use the existing rubber grommet, therefore giving a perfect fit to the wing of the car.

I might actually modify the extension bar top so that the aerial sits closer to the OEM grommet - the gap is perhaps a little too big at the moment. The reason I/we put a taper on the end was the aerial itself has a rubber overhang, which now produces a good seal with the extension piece.

Review - well, reception is actually quite good! MUCH better than the windscreen antenna - I can pick up most, if not all channels in my local area.

How to install (not that you need this - it's easy!)

1. Open boot, and remove the 5 plastic screw-head covers on the trim.

2. Using a philips screwdriver, remove the 4 screws from the side trim, and 1 from the rear.

3. Remove the trim section carefully - the 1 screw from the rear will enable this to be removed without breaking.

4. Undo the chome cap on the top of the aerial - a flat bladed pair of pliers in the grooves & turn anti-

clockwise. Remove cap.

5. Undo 1 x 10mm screw (with hex head) holding the std aerial in position.

6. Disconnect motor connection from aerial

7. Move aerial unit around, and completely remove from wing of car

8. Disconnect aerial connection on side of mast.

9. Remove nut from base of aerial amp, and place the bracket over thread. Place the nut back on. Image taken from a previous how-to - hope the owner doesn't mind!

10. Push the extension bar down through the original rubber grommet.

11. Hold the aerial amp up to the hole from the inside, and screw in the extension bar.

12. Put the extension bar and grommet in situ, and rotate bar/amp as required.

13. Adjust bracket to align the screw hole, and attach bracket to existing mounting hole.

14. Plug aerial connection into OEM aerial socket

15. Connect +12v to either remote switch wire from HU (Usually rated at 300mA max - don't overload it!)

or from the boot-light cables. (This is a constant 12v, so will drain battery)

17. Re-attach boot trim, screws and caps.

18. Screw in S2000 aerial from above, and test! If you wish, apply thread-lock - but beware, this acts as

an insulator and so will probably affect signal strength.

Edited by Pabs (see edit history)

That looks really smart.

Any plans to make a batch of the little extension bars?

Thanks mate. :)

I'm not going to breach any group-buy rules or anything here, so lets just say that I'm researching into the possibility of supplying either the lot as a kit, or maybe just the custom bits as required.

If something possibly comes of it, then I'll go through the club and put up the info.

BIG thanks go to Burna of course - for supplying the bracket! Without him this wouldn't have even been a glimmer in my eye ;)

Awesome man! I like that, definatly beats the flag pole! :D

Hey burna if you have any of them brackets left please PM me ;)

As said above I'll try and find them again, only found a small amount on a shelf when I know I had a load cut :blink:

Guest Budz86

Looks sweet mate, I need to sort mine out as I don't like having the stereo on while driving because the ariel looks so wrong!

Got your PM Burna - I've made some enquiries and had some replies, so now I'm going to approach the Mods on here to see if I am allowed to stick up a "feeler" for a group buy.

IMI - reception is better than rear windscreen antenna - of course it's not as good as the flag pole, but it's hard to quantify exactly how good it is. I've not driven the car with this aerial yet either.

The aerial itself is a GENUINE Honda S2000 / Civic-Type R aerial. I don't know what the internal construction is - it is a rubber aerial so can bend/flex whatever.

The base I used inside the wing of the car has an internal amplifier, so this improves the signal. Of course, you need a 12v connection for this to work - I've used my remote-switch cable from my HU that is capable of 300mA max - the subwoofer I have is quoted at

I've PM'd Class-One ref. a "group-buy" type thing for this, so awaiting a reply before I do anything else.