The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice needed - what to buy NA-T/TT?

SILKYSMOOTH

Hi guys

As some of you may know I am going abroad soon and I am going to take a Supra with me whatever happens.

In order for me to take one without paying loads of tax I have to have it registered on my name for at least 6 months before I can take it with me.

So I am on the search for a nice standard TT (black) possibly with a few light mods then I can do a few things to it as I go along when I'm abroad. But have to sell the other cars 1st.

That was the plan...however I have seen some nice NA's around at good prices which I was thinking of converting to a turbo.

Should I not bother coverting and just go for an original TT...job done?, what implications are there of converting (will there still be a big difference between the two? (if I was to get that done it would be done here in the UK before the car goes over...I want the car ready to drive for when I'm there).

I guess im looking for the pro's and con's of both compared against each other and overall reliability, maintenance and performance.

Also forgot to mention that a Targa top is also an option, correct me if I am wrong these come in auto's only...right? (unless converted)

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by SILKYSMOOTH (see edit history)

Before you even plan on doing any mods, check what the restrictions are in the relevant country, some can be REALLY funny.

Very true, many of my friends abroad have had to dismantal their cars because of their upgrades.

Thats why I am leaning towards a standard TT, the mods that I want to do are merely cosmetic to the interior and engine bay, and maybe brakes/suspension. You never know I may find one to be exactly what Im looking for without the need to modify as long as the engine is standard.

where are you going to be fella??

i would opt for the twin tub due to knowing the stock parts are designed for a turbo and the pressure it puts on the car

thats what I was thinking...Thats exactly what I wanted to hear/read...:thumbs:

Im going somewhere HOT in the Med (not that I like the heat much), was also thinking about how the heat might affect the car in the hot weather?

hahah i was posted over there too, not many supras around but they sell for stupid money over there so i would buy before and import it in. even sell it there and make sum money.

i looked at a green turbo there and they wanted 16k cyp which was nearly 20 k english that was on a 94 plate and not in that good a condition tbh

hahah i was posted over there too, not many supras around but they sell for stupid money over there so i would buy before and import it in. even sell it there and make sum money.

i looked at a green turbo there and they wanted 16k cyp which was nearly 20 k english that was on a 94 plate and not in that good a condition tbh

exactly, but things have changed a bit now because now CY is a member of the EU, and prices have dropped considerably. That's why I must take one with me so I don't pay any tax, might even take an NA too if I have any money left over.

Where were you stationed?

was over in the esba mate. on the contrary pal my cousin just had his wedding out there, its still as expensive as ever

Cool....don't get me wrong things are expensive but just like the 'credit crunch' here it's affecting the value of property, cars and other meaningful assets. Still expensive though in general...have to agree.

I remember being over there many years ago and a pack of cigarettes was only 35cents, they are now 1.50 to 2.50

yeh true but still way cheaper than the uk, have a good time out there buddy

Thanks buddy...haven't seen my brother in 2 years, also haven't spent any time with the old man in at least 5 years (havent seen him for 2 years and only saw him for a week or so even then, probably add up to a month in last 5 years), so it's about time I go and get settled and catch up with the family as well.