The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another respray thread (AFR tuning related)

mwilkinson

Well I have wanted a respray for years, and now after procrastinating for an age I have the car in with a body shop.

I have chosen to go through Matt at AFR and his body shop connection called Jay and his brother Martin who run Esser Works based in Horsham. From what I have seen of Jay’s work it is second to none. The full respray includes all the expected stuff, doors off, boot lid off, windows out, front wings off etc. It is by no means cheap but worth every penny (YGWYPF).

I am keeping the Veilside front bumper and sideskirts (sorry to those that don’t like Veilside kit but I love them), which I discovered to my great surprise are genuine. I am changing the rear to a Trial bumper (Thanks to Gaz at Envy Performance) and I am getting rid of the bat-wing and have opted to go for an original supra spoiler.

With regards to colour the car is being sprayed (Only decided today) Lamborghini Grigio Avlon (Code 0049) which is a dark gun metal colour. It seems to be a popular colour but it is the only colour so far which I have really liked.

The car was taken down after I spent the best part of 5 weeks stripping the car and undertaking some other work I wanted to do on the car. It as at this point I discovered that the passenger’s door was a replacement and that it was originally white. Thanks to Keron at Extreme Performance for supplying me a nice black door to replace it. This additional work has included the following:

•I have installed a complete stand alone wiring harness for all aftermarket equipment. This includes a separate fuse box. This will power a number of aftermarket pieces of kit. The fuse box has positive feed, earth, ignition feed and an illumination feed. This has saved hacking up your nice original loom.

•I will be going BPU and have therefore installed a Greddy Spec-M FMIC, Walbro fuel pump, Greddy boost controller, AEM AFR gauge, Defi BF link controller, boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. I already have a number of items on the car such as exhaust but needed these to finish the job.

•I have also installed a new THOR DSC and TSD.

•I already have Tein Flex suspension but have installed the EDFC.

•I have also fully sound proofed the car using e-dead and e-dead teklite material, plus acoustic fire retardant foam.

•I have installed Rainbow SLC 265 6.5” component speakers and fitted an Alpine F250 amp to power the front and rear speakers.

In addition to all this I have new rear quarter glass, all new window seals and trim, new washer nozzles, wiper arms, scuttle (plastic thing under the window), badges etc. Basically all exterior components will be new. (a big thanks to Nic and Paul at Whifbitz for these parts).

Once I get the car back it will have a new ally radiator fitted, blue silicon hose kit, UK spec brakes with TRD pads all round, new Ultralite 755 wheels (thanks again to Gaz at Envy) and thanks to Nic again a nice shiny new TRD steering wheel.

This whole process is like a dream come true. Prior to the Supra I was never into cars, in fact I use to drive a Smart Car!! :blink: However, since owning the Supra modifying has become an obsession.

Anyway here are a few pictures of the damage I have so far inflicted. I will keep the post updated with images as the car will be gone for probably 6-8 weeks. Next pictures should be up in around 2 weeks when I next visit the car.

Here is the car at the start:

Once I had done my destruction thing :eyebrows::

Loading onto transporter (Sorry about my girl like laugh at my brother!!):

Link to video

At the bodyshop:

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me, I'd take the heater matrix core out and replace it while you have everything out, saves doing it at a later stage. Also if you take the dash out, you can really spray everything properly :)

Nothing to indicate a problem at the moment. I take your point though, but we have had the dash apart a few times now, the last time when we replaced it and I have to say it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. I think I will take my chances.

Also I don't want to leave the dash out as I would likely FUBAR the paint somewhere trying to get it back in!!

Good colour choice will look awesome

Hope so. Was originally going to stick with a black but thought having gone to all the expense and effort of getting the car resprayed why not change it to a colour I really want!!

Have seen a couple of cars with the same colour on here and I think it is stunning. Should look brilliant!

My cars at the bodyshop this week, cant decide whether to go with That Lambo grigo Avlon or BMW Carbon Black....not too sure which will compliment the black wheels best

Its a hard choice and like most I made my mind up last minute. I was intent on sticking with black but was unable to find a black I really loved. While looking for the black I would often look at pictures of Clevlands old car and say wow what a colour. Stupid isn't it....the avlon colour was really the colour I wanted I just was so blind to it :rolleyes:

Its a hard choice and like most I made my mind up last minute. I was intent on sticking with black but was unable to find a black I really loved. While looking for the black I would often look at pictures of Clevlands old car and say wow what a colour. Stupid isn't it....the avlon colour was really the colour I wanted I just was so blind to it :rolleyes:

LOl same, ive been preving (oo-err) on Clelands and Sean1933's cars and i think grigio Avlon is starting to sway it for me

Apparently it is quite easy to mix and does not require any special prep, so no additional cost. Not that I want everyone to have the same colour but its a bit more imaginative than a black and you should be able to get away without washing it every 5 minutes!!

Can I ask how much the exterior body bits were? All the seals, rear 1/4 glass etc. Mine are looking tatty and in need of doing. pm if you prefer. Thanks.

I went through Nic, Whifbitz and Steve Manley and spent in the region of £1800 on external trim. Basically I have replaced all external components down to the washer nozzles!!

As a guide I would expect to pay in the region of £30+ per major rubber seal for the windows and doors (the actual front and rear windscreen seals were cheaper). Let me have a dig around and I might be able to find an approximate cost although it might just be best speaking to Nic, Paul from Whifbitz or Steve Manley from toyota.

It was not cheap, although this does include facelift headlights, tail lights and indicators.

Yeah he does quite good prices, but not a patch on Nic. I think being honest I would take the 4-6 week hit going through Nic purely on the price of parts. I just saw a receipt from Steve where 2 of the rubber trim pieces, part number 67861-14310 N/STK W/STRIP FR DOOR £69.22 EACH and you need 2!! Thats just one of the 3 rubber components you need for each door.

Jay's really cracking on with it now too, should be in paint soon ;)

And there's my poor wee R32 in the background :( He's starting that soon too, if it's not ready for my open day then he is sacked :D

From what I have seen of Jay's work I've been very impressed, he is definitely not the cheapest but you certainly get what you pay for with bodywork. If the quality of Jay's work isn't at least on a par with GVN then I'll be looking for someone else.

Hi Matt,

Yeah I had a quick glance over yours today while I was there. He has started some of the prep from what I could see but i told him mine had to come first ;)

Shame I have to wait for the Trial bumper. I will be taking the car back and storing it until the bumper arrives then dropping it back in to get it all sorted.

Have you seen the Ultima they are working on?

Hi Matt,

Yeah I had a quick glance over yours today while I was there. He has started some of the prep from what I could see but i told him mine had to come first ;)

Shame I have to wait for the Trial bumper. I will be taking the car back and storing it until the bumper arrives then dropping it back in to get it all sorted.

Have you seen the Ultima they are working on?

Bloody customers :D ;)

Yeah the Ultima is nice, had it on the rollers a few weeks ago :)

Some photos I got of your car and others when I dropped mine off a couple of weeks back:

Matts R32:

Is this a club members car?

Looking forward to seeing this spray completed as I've been impressed with Jay's spraying on my own car twice now.