The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My luck has run out. - Gearbox issue

Pig

I took the car to whifbitz this morning so it can become quiet :)

After beating my boss on his R reg fireblade 750 (in a straight line) :D

I was sat at the traffic lights with the clutch down and for about 5 seconds i got a grinding noise. I lifted the clutch and it stopped, put it down again and it started. I then kept the clutch down and it stopped after about 4 seconds.

The next set of lights i stopped and left the clutch up and the same noise happened. When it started i put my foot on the clutch and it stopped. Lifted the clutch up and after a couple of seconds it made the noise again and went away again after about 4 seconds.

The gearbox has been slowly getting noisier with the clutch up but dont know if these 2 are related.

Does anyone know of anywhere that can properly re-build a box? Also gaz, how much was your gearbox?

If its not worth trying to rebuild i think i will just change the fluids.....again! And use it till it dies then get a new one.

Sorry to hear that mate, just to let you know there is no such thing as a 750 fireblade, the early ones are 900's so you did well;)

Oh, thats strange. Im sure he said it was a 750. I was suprised enough that i had done him on that as the best i have ever done is a 600 03 plate as it ran out of steam at 150.

Hey ho, ill try to get a pic and vid next time.

Sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing that has gone.

I'd be very surprised if it's the gearbox, sounds more like a clutch issue.#

Edit - just seen Nic's post, that was the bit in my mind :D

couple of people i know have had what sounds like the same thing, turned out to be the flywheel bolts being loose i think. best of luck anyways john

I would guess the release bearing too... Hopefully it is something as 'easy' as that Jon.

Sounds like quite a few people agree on that point. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Just gone into my garage and discovered 2 oil patches. One from below the engine and one a foot or so back.

Im sure paul will be able to give it a good look over.