The mkiv Supra Owners Club

*WARNING* Autoglym

nickball75

Hey guys,

Just a little word of warning about autoglym alloy cleaner. I used this last weekend on my mania pacifics, just checked them out today and it looks like i missed a bit when rinsing it off and there is a little patch on one of the wheels thats eaten through to the black! Might be down to the quality of the wheel or maybe I shouldnt have used this product on those wheels but luckily its only a little and not on all the wheels! Just make sure it is well rinsed off when you are done.

Hey guys,

Just a little word of warning about autoglym alloy cleaner. I used this last weekend on my mania pacifics, just checked them out today and it looks like i missed a bit when rinsing it off and there is a little patch on one of the wheels thats eaten through to the black! Might be down to the quality of the wheel or maybe I shouldnt have used this product on those wheels but luckily its only a little and not on all the wheels! Just make sure it is well rinsed off when you are done.

Its the same with most acid based alloy cleaners.

Your far better off with a neutral type cleaner and a wax afterwards so that the brake dust and dirt can't settle in to the paint making cleaning next time easier :)

Its the same with most acid based alloy cleaners.

Your far better off with a neutral type cleaner and a wax afterwards so that the brake dust and dirt can't settle in to the paint making cleaning next time easier :)

Good call, I wont be using this again, although its been fine on my corolla, but they are not chrome alloys

My personal preference is to use just soap and water first. If that doesn't remove the crap i get my old clay bar out (seperate bar to the paintowrk clay bar :D)

As a last resort i will us one of those cleaners but sprayed on to a cloth rather than over the whole wheel.

I think that stuff is ok (actually it's quite good) but I'd use it only occasionally when the wheels are bad (so if you look after them, once they're clean you'd not ever need it again) and as you've discovered, you've got to rinse it off thoroughly shortly after applying it.

The Meguire's wheel cleaning product is pretty good if you want something a bit safer for regular cleaning - available online or in most halfords stores :)

I think that stuff is ok (actually it's quite good) but I'd use it only occasionally when the wheels are bad (so if you look after them, once they're clean you'd not ever need it again) and as you've discovered, you've got to rinse it off thoroughly shortly after applying it.

The Meguire's wheel cleaning product is pretty good if you want something a bit safer for regular cleaning - available online or in most halfords stores :)

Oddly enough, I'm sure this is all on the label...

Yes, Hot Rims. My wheels are laquered alloy and most other cleaners would damage the coating. Mine are already blistered with age :( but the Meguires hasnt made it any worse :) Its also worth getting a soft brush to save scrubbing at the surface too much. Use cotton buds to get into any crevices ;) It may also be worth giving the wheels a wash again afterwards with your usual car wash to remove any residue as rinsing with water isnt always adequate - I use a soft cellulose sponge, wont scratch.

L