The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Filter post turbo?????

suprattgaz

I was thinking the other day when my turbo smashed itself up and went flying out the exhaust how lucky I was it wasn't the other side as that would have flown straight into the engine and blown it up - right?! And that does happen?

So, has anyone ever though of, or done, a filter mesh to sit pre or post intercooler to catch the blades if that were ever to happen? Would only cost a tenner and could save yourself an engine?

Only asking as I work for an aerospace company and we have several filter suppliers - I'm sure I could get hold of some high flow titanium or similar mesh that could be formed into a filter element and placed somewhere in the intercooler circuitm (for cheep or even free)???

Seem a good idea or waste of time? :search:

It would lower response espcially high boost, if a MAF sensor can become restrictive then god knows what affect this would have on the car

It is a good idea though, for the mesh to have no affect on performance if would have to be pretty big, engines can be blown apart by small fragments that would probably get through the mesh anyway, its pretty rare that a full blade would find itself in the chamber, dont forget it has to get through those small gaps in the intercooler first

It would lower response espcially high boost, if a MAF sensor can become restrictive then god knows what affect this would have on the car

It is a good idea though, for the mesh to have no affect on performance if would have to be pretty big, engines can be blown apart by small fragments that would probably get through the mesh anyway, its pretty rare that a full blade would find itself in the chamber, dont forget it has to get through those small gaps in the intercooler first

Yeah, I had thought of the intercooler stopping big particles. So is it stupid idea then? Even if you can get high flow filter mesh?

It would be the same as having two filters on the intake (I know not the same due to temperatures, pressures and mass flow, but you know where I am coming from). The surface area would be much smaller then an intake, but the theory still the same? How many people have blown engines due to impellor fragments flying through the engine? Is it such a small risk I am just talking out my bum??:innocent:

On high boost applications its been well documented that MAF sensors can cause restrictions

If you have 'high flow' mesh your increase the gap with each crossover, until it gets to the point their bigger than the IC holes, which deems them useless

If you think your at risk of your turbo blades coming off - change your turbo or change your map/setup

On high boost applications its been well documented that MAF sensors can cause restrictions

If you have 'high flow' mesh your increase the gap with each crossover, until it gets to the point their bigger than the IC holes, which deems them useless

If you think your at risk of your turbo blades coming off - change your turbo or change your map/setup

In no way do I personally think I am in trouble, BUT if it was a simple mod that meant in the unlikely event of it ever happening you only replace a turbo and not an engine I thought it was worth a suggestion/mention??? Any one else got an opinion on this?