The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi All, advise please

Guest Alan S

Guest Alan S

Im a Newbie and thought i'd say a big hello!!

Im currently in the market for a supra twin turbo (or a single, cost depending), or dare I say it on here an RX7.

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend any for sale (supra or rx7) my budget is about 7k.

As for manual or auto, not 100% yet, again it all depends on price.

So then, what you say are the pros and cons between the two cars mentioned above. LOL obviously im guessing people will say supras are better seeing as im on a supras owners club, but if anyone has any advise or comments I would appreciate it.

Cheers guys.

Oh, and im based in the North West :)

Guest Alan S
welcome mate :), both cars are fantastic but each in it's own way, you need to state what you want from a car

Im looking for looks speed and handling, but I also want a car thats not going to be needing fixing every 2 months :rolleyes:

I dont really want to be spending that kind of money and end up getting a dog, so I was wondering as everyone on here generally has a good idea of whos cars are good, or pehaps a bargain, can anyone reccomend any.

cheers for your time

Guest CoolsBlue
Im looking for looks speed and handling, but I also want a car thats not going to be needing fixing every 2 months :rolleyes:

You need a supra, 2JZ rules, why do you think people put them into rx7's!:D

If you have a budget of 7k for the car i would forget the rx7 as the running costs are extortionate. 7k will get you a very nice auto tt which will have low mileage. You will be pushed to get a good 6sp manual for that budget unless you want an na.

Welcome to the club mate:)

Would agree with the majority above in suggesting a well setup Auto BPU Twin Turbo J-Spec Supra for the £7k budget.

The reliability of the Supra is far greater than the RX7 and you'll not be dissappointed!

Pound for Pound you get more tuning output as well given the block will handle around 550-600HP without being uprated all day long.

Manuals are more desirable but you'd be at the lower end of the market with your budget.

Good luck however you decide to proceed mate!

Cheers.

Pete :)

Guest Alan S

thanks for all your advise guys I appreciate it! :)

Just out of interest, has anyone on here previosly owned a RX7 or driven one? Was just wondering what their opinion was, and how it compares to the supra.

Suggest you speak to Dazza or Darren over at Whifbitz as he drives the Pro Class Time Attack RX7 and has driven plenty of Supras.

He does have a username/profile on here but don't think he uses it much! ;)

Maybe call them: 020 8367 1286

Think Jurgen is another good bet as he has a keen interest in both the Rex and Supra.

Drop him a PM mate.

Pete :)

Guest Garfy

Hi mate,

I originally wanted an RX7, and I still love them, the engine is silky smooth, they handle fantastically, BUT, and its a big but, the engines can be a nightmare, if they are looked after they are great, but you need to really think about letting them warm up and cool down properly, because of the design of the engine it effectivly has 4 head gaskets (or equivalent of) so you have a lot of faces that need to be warmed up and cooled down at the same rate, so no giving it any till its nice and warm, NEVER EVER let it over heat.

and the engine itself is not the end of the troubles, the twin turbo system is very complicated, have you ever seen one with all the plumbing etc removed? you wont believe how small the engine is under it all.

and then there is the build quality, its not great, the RX7 was always built to be lightweight, and as a result the build quality isnt great, broken bits of interior are common.

basically I looked for a good RX7 for about 2 years, and I didn't find one I was willing to pay for, then I decided to have a look at supra's, I bought the second one I looked at, and that was 5 years ago, I've still got it, in that time hardly anything has gone wrong, I've had a caliper seize (managed to pick up a secondhand full set here for £50) the starter motor packed up, I bought a referb kit for £15, fitted it and its been fine ever since, one shock started leaking, managed to get a set of bilstien TRD shocks on ebay for about £150, and now it looks like the valve guide oil seals need doing.

Not bad for 5 years at about 14k miles a year I think you will agree.

its all depends on what you want, I keep revisiting my RX7 love and every now and then go and look at one, but the last time I did (after owning the surpa) I was disapointed, it didn't feel anywhere near as quick, and rattled inside.

if you need it as an everyday car, I would say, go for the supra, if its a toy, have a look at both and decide.

I must admit that now I'm not using the supra everyday, I may start looking into the RX7 again.

Guest Alan S

Cheers for all your help and thanks for your advise etc. Ill get in touch with the names above and go from there :)

Was looking on Piston Heads and came accross an RX7 im quite interested in, if you can spare a few seconds guys id appreciate your opinion. Its apparently running at 543bhp and running a t88 Single turbo kit.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/612094.htm

Cheers

Guest Alan S

bump!

If anyone can help with advise I would appreciate it as im going to view it this week :)

Also got my eyes on a supe and awaiting pics, so will show you all later :)