The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where do i stand on letting people test drive my car?

CardiffSupra

Iv never sold a car before, always p/x one for another, So where do I stand when it comes down to letting people test drive the car? Obviously they have to drive it but does fully comp insurance cover me/them for any bumps?

Just dont like the idear of some kid with a burrbery cap jumping in my car for a spin, Should I ask for insurance documents or what?

Cheers.

Guest CoolsBlue

I wouldnt let them anyway, id take them for a drive and ask them what they want me to show them...its my car until the cash is in my hands

You either get them to bring ID and a current fully comp cover note covering ANY car (which only motor traders will probably have...) or you take a chance they don't stuff it. I usually assess them on the spot and if they look like *ankers you drive them, if they have cash, look and seem respectable, and you are feeling lucky, you let them drive under your supervision. I have only ever had one problem and I turfed her (yep, it was some doped up bint) out in the back of beyond.

Fully comp might not be sufficient. I think not all fully comp policies cover the policy holder to drive other people's cars (i.e. yours). Get them to bring their policy schedule with them. It should be clear if they are covered.

If I were in your position, I would do what Chris Wilson said and make a judgement about the punter. Does (s)he look or behave like a chav, does (s)he have the relevent insurance documents, etc. Even if the documents say they can drive other cars, it'll almost certainly only be third party cover. Better (and more legal) than nothing I guess....

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Lol:D You booted her out half way thru the test drive?

Yep, sure did. Her boyfriend threatened me with GBH, the police, court action, blah blah. As he was smoking a joint and had a stash in the glove-box of his Nova I wasn't really bothered if he did convince the Old Bill to come out. Never heard any more, she may still be out there for all I know ;)

I think I need to fill you guys in as Im a director in insurance. If someone turns up and says they are fully comp yes they are.....to drive there car. If they take your car for a spin and crash it they are only covered 3rd party on someone elses car.

It makes me laugh when you see these people selling a car and they say the car is no longer insured so if you want to drive it they have to bring proof of there insurance. WRONG! If the car is not insured by the owner there is no insurance in place and therefore if the guy has a crash there is no insurance in place and nothing will be paid out!

Your best bet is what the others have said you drive the car and see what they think as they could be wasting your time. If they pull out the money or come back and say look ive got the money here just want to drive it myself to make sure then atleast it looks more genuine as they have the money to hand.

If you have any other insurance questions just ask.

There seems to be this belief that fully comp means to drive any car when it doesnt so beware. The only time this is correct is for people who take out special insurance like mechanics who have to drive other peoples cars all the time.

I have full comp insurance and it clearly says that I'm allowed to drive other cars with the owners permission and in case of any accident, ONLY 3rd party insurance is covered!

I wouldn't let anyone drive my car until and unless they hand me some cash :)

Cheers

Like I said iv always got my cars from dealers, If I was buying I would expect to drive the car. Should I put on my autotrader add "No test drive" or something?

I wouldn't let anyone drive it period.

If they are genuine they should fully understand and probably ask just before money exchanges hands, by which time they'll have insurance.

What genuine buyer wants to drive a car they are not insured for and are not familiar?

Im the same i wouldnt let anyone drive my car either.

i have gone to look at cars and respected people who have asked if im insure before hand. I have always told them im not insured to drive it would you take me for a drive and keeps everyone happy if your honest.

so far everyone has mentioned the civil consequences. ie what happens if they crash = no pay outs. there are also criminal consequences as you are not allowed to let someone drive your car uninsured and you (and they too) will be commiting an offence if you do permit this.

it is a pain in the neck but unless you have a private road at hand best not to chance it.

also not to mention idiots who try to rev your car to destruction, repeatedly slip the clutch and then say "that clutch is on the way out!!" - my recent experience :aggress:

In an ideal world people would get insured for your car to test drive it. This is not an ideal world. You will be very lucky to have a trader at your door after a car and willing to pay the money you want for it so chances are you aint gonna see any of those.

Would any of you guys buy a car without driving it? I certainly wouldn't. I am 3rd party on any car that is insured and if someone wasn't willing to let me drive a car they were selling i would simply walk away.

As Chris said, assess the person who wants to drive the car. If they look like a nugget don't even mention driving until they do then say you will do the driving. If they look ok, take them to a road you know they will be ok on and sit in the passenger side.

Being realistic, someone who actually wants to buy the car isn't going to drive it hard. They are just going to check for steering feel, gearbox feel and listen for any quirky noises.

Always be careful though.

Would any of you guys buy a car without driving it? I certainly wouldn't. I am 3rd party on any car that is insured and if someone wasn't willing to let me drive a car they were selling i would simply walk away.

I'd let them drive it, and make a decision based on that. If I had doubts I'd get it car checked by someone or those car checker companies.

On good vibe from that, I'd get insurance on big day of purchase and do a final drive myself before funds change hands to be sure. That's how I've always done it.

I think I need to fill you guys in as Im a director in insurance. If someone turns up and says they are fully comp yes they are.....to drive there car. If they take your car for a spin and crash it they are only covered 3rd party on someone elses car.

It makes me laugh when you see these people selling a car and they say the car is no longer insured so if you want to drive it they have to bring proof of there insurance. WRONG! If the car is not insured by the owner there is no insurance in place and therefore if the guy has a crash there is no insurance in place and nothing will be paid out!

Your best bet is what the others have said you drive the car and see what they think as they could be wasting your time. If they pull out the money or come back and say look ive got the money here just want to drive it myself to make sure then atleast it looks more genuine as they have the money to hand.

If you have any other insurance questions just ask.

There seems to be this belief that fully comp means to drive any car when it doesnt so beware. The only time this is correct is for people who take out special insurance like mechanics who have to drive other peoples cars all the time.

Nice one Essexboy. I'll be asking at sometime. :) So many quandaries on this subject.