The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front bumper heights and overhangs

Chris and Alana

I have recently bought a new house and have very slight ground clearance issues with my drive :( I have done some searching but haven’t found anything useful so I thought I would start a thread to show the various heights from the ground and overhangs of different front bumpers. I figured these would have to measured on stock suspension to get a good guide of clearances. For me I figured a bumper with an extra 15-20mm clearance over my current front would solve my problem but I don’t want to spend money on a bumper and hope it is slightly higher, hence the thread. Hopefully with enough info this will be very useful to allot of members.

I figured the first thing to mention should be suspension (standard black shocks and springs or the later yellow bilstein’s and springs) From doing some searching it looks like the later bilstein set-up was roughly 10mm lower than the older KYB set-up (please correct if this is wrong) so stating stock suspension will allow a good comparison to be made.

Then the type of front bumper (Standard, Top Secret type 2, Ridox ect) and whether or not it is an original or a replica. Also if it is a replica then post where it was from if possible.

Then simply measure the distance from the ground (parking on a flat bit of tarmac) to the bottom of the front bumper to get ground clearance.

Then the best way I could think of to get a measurement of overhang was to measure from the centre of the centre cap (on one of the front wheels) to the furthest forward point at the base of the bumper. Large overhangs on bumpers (like mine) seem to also cause grounding issues so I figured this would also be a helpful measurement.

Anyway, I hope this works and turns out to be useful, it will take all the guess work out of buying an aftermarket front bumper.

I'll put mine up first :-

Suspension - Standard (Black) springs and shocks.

Front Bumper - Top Secret Type 2 (replica from Vine Place)

Dist from ground - 110mm

Overhang - 95mm

Edited by Chris and Alana (see edit history)

I will check this evening at home Chris ... have a Veiside C1 front (TS front is ordered and on its way) with Stock shocks and Eibach springs.

Just explain to one coming from the continent what you mean by overhang measurement :p

Then the best way I could think of to get a measurement of overhang was to measure from the centre of the centre cap (on one of the front wheels) to the furthest forward point at the base of the bumper. Large overhangs on bumpers (like mine) seem to also cause grounding issues so I figured this would also be a helpful measurement.

Basically how far the bumper sticks out from the car, hope that helps :)

I would be more inclined to be thinking of getting some concrete or asphalt to solve the problem;)

Nice one! :)

Seriously though, is it only a problem when you drive on or reverse on? One way around it (if you can't change anything else) is to create a 'bump' on the drive corresponding with where your wheels would be just before the bumper grounds. This should lift the car just enough to avoid it (assuming it doesn't ground on the bump first) ...

Of course, if it's happening at both ends simultaneously, back to Plan A! :)