The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting my engine bay matt black?

Guest CoolsBlue

Guest CoolsBlue

Hi all, had a idea today...(here we go):bang:

:D

My engine bay is in that normal primer like colour paint, i was wondering, so many people paint engine bay parts with hammerite heat paint, could i do my actual engine bay in hammertie matt black heat paint? id do it by hand using paint bruses, rekon i can do it, just want it to look clean and hate the way it is, would it be ok to paint it with this stuff?Obviously id clean the bay before i start, id do that by hand to as im not sure about using a hose with all those little electrics in there.

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-2817-Hammerite-Matt-Black-High-Heat-Paint-250ml.html

Seeming as i have nothing but free time and the weather is on a plus side, i thought it would be a good idea to do it when my supra comes home

what do we all think?

Kev

A hose should be no problem, a pressure washer no, as long as there are no naked electrics exposed(like custom wiring e.t.c), all connectors are connected and you dont create a little pool near the coil packs you should be fine,

Plenty of degreaser and it will be mint, again I wouldnt brush either!

Guest CoolsBlue

Ill pop down halfords to get some degreaser + heat proof paint, never used heat paint in cans but if gaz1's supra has had it done, then it has to be ok to use...but ill be doing all of it by hand, not worth the risk of damaging something in there...

Strip as much off as you can bud then mask the hell out of everything. Make sure you degrease everything really well. Alloy wheel cleaner is good,(non acidic type).

I am doing mine this weekend but i am going gloss black to match my engine bay.

Guest CoolsBlue

Think im getting to fussed with the car, got my supra home today (looks fantastic), was looking at the bay, its not that bad, would just be extra hastle for me to do, rekon a good old hand clean will make it look smart, and a new apexi airfilter as i have those old HKS ones:S

ok guys... as most of you know i had my engine bits all polished!!

but, dam it is hard work to keep if clean and shiny!! :)

so here you go my new engine bay pics!! please have in mind IT IS NOT FINISHED!!!

im waiting for my new rubbers(vaccum pipes... etc) in red!!

here you go:

and close up:

What do you guys think??