The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ominous signs of GT4088R failure

jevansio

I've currently got my Supe at MS getting the manifold re-heatwrapped. They've got my turbo off so I took the opportunity to inspect the turbine blades.

Although nowhere near as bad as mine & others fully damaged ones, the initial signs of a couple of the blade edges being nibbled are definately there.

I have never run 2 Step on this one & my EGT's have never been over 950 (and I now measure temps pre turbo).

I didn't get a chance to take any pictures but I'm pleased I've taken the decision to leave this turbo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to hear about another one Jay :(

Still, its not just common to the 4088's... here's a recent picture of my t67, not looking too healthy.

This turbo has only seen 1.1bar and very little Wot on my car, maybe 5000miles, 98% being off boost motorway miles. I've not noticed any difference in performance, so i'm not in any rush to change it.

DSC006521.JPG

Do seem a tad weak don't they? I personally wouldn't risk fitting one. Too many good units out there. :)

Yeay, I wouldn't get another :(

Sorry to hear about another one Jay :(

Still, its not just common to the 4088's... here's a recent picture of my t67, not looking too healthy.

This turbo has only seen 1.1bar and very little Wot on my car, maybe 5000miles, 98% being off boost motorway miles. I've not noticed any difference in performance, so i'm not in any rush to change it.

Wow Mart, that looks pretty well ****ed too :( I would never have known my 1st one had gone either just by the lack of performance

Do seem a tad weak don't they? I personally wouldn't risk fitting one. Too many good units out there. :)

What is the best all round turbo then? i really liked the idea of having one of these one day. Say a Turbo that is set up for 500hp that spools up fast, very little lag etc? for a road car with the odd track day. No drag strips.....

thanks ;)

Water cooling and ball bearing wouldn't stop heat on the edge of the turbine blades.

Yeah I know :D, but it's in Garretts latest GT roller bearing lineup along with the well praised GT35R, GT42R etc, but we don't hear about those failing, I doubt Garrett would use a different design/material on a turbo in the middle of it's lineup, or maybe they would :), either way I migt just turn the anti-lag on this one for 6 months now & have some fun :D

I spoke to Turbo Technics, or maybe it was Turbo Dynamics about this an the response was that the only difference between the petrol and the diesel version was the exhaust turbine housing, the rest is all the same, and it was thought that the only possibility for this damage was down to the housing distorting and touching the blades, doesn't sound right to me as the damage look to irregular.

I still think it is a cavitation effect. Will have to brush up on this but it was common on lower revving turbines operating in denser mediums. I will have to exercise the brain a bit and do some research before saying anymore

You know what Marty's pic looks like to me? Turbine creep. This used to happen on gas turbine engines when the turbine material overtemps, stretches and rubs on the turbine casing. If you look at the pic you can see hot spots on each blade and only in that area the edges have been torn off. I reckon thats a valid theory...

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

They all seem to be the DBB type dont they? The bearings could be giving way at the 130K rpm or whatever they spin at, and under the intense heat - any effect of expansion on the turbine blades due to the heat would take them closer to the turbine housing

The fact that its not uniform would enhance this theory as bearings giving way would create a spontaneous movement of the shaft, the compressor would be in a better condition as both the comp housing and compressor blades are under less heat

Does anyone run water injection and their turbos suffer the same fate? Maybe its just too much timing retard for the material