The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fans behind FMIC

jevansio

I had a thought when driving home after work, I run the AAP twin fan kit on my radiator, it's amazing the difference they make as when they are broke or I forget to plug the connction in, even when travelling at 70mph the car runs a load hotter.

So what about putting a set of twin fans behind the FMIC to create a low pressure area there? Anyone done it? Funnily enough just spoke to Michel & he has put a fan in that exact location.

Discuss :D

I guess it depends if you push or pull

Yeah, if they pull they would aid the FMIC but there is a possibility they could hinder the rad, if they push they would help the rad but could hinder the FMIC, I reckon 2 fans behind the FMIC pulling & blowing onto the rad would be better (plus I like my bling rad plate :D)

Just a bump for this subject, be glad on anyone elses input. I spoke to MS & they reckoned although the fans would assist at slow speeds they could be a hinderance at highspeed & restrict flow past the FMIC & to the rad, any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.

My thinking is I'd gladly sacrifice a bit top end flow (when there is ample air flowing over it anyway), for extra flow low down (esp when sat in hot queue's and doing slow speed driving etc).

Id say MC are spot on, i dont think fans will work, if its heat soak you are worried about how about getting a water spray kit for the ic like the evos have? or one of the Nos spray bars?

It's a good idea Jamie. Another issue I was trying to solve with the fans was not only getting more air over the FMIC, I'd be getting more air over the rad.

My thicker FMIC is even more restrictive to the rad than before. At TOTB in queues my water temps would steadily rise to the point where I had to turn the car off while waiting, or turn the heaters on full wack (I was sweating like **** :D as I had wisely removed my A/C if you recall :D :D).

I was hoping the fans would act as a triple edged sword creating more airflow over my FMIC, oil cooler & radiator all in one swoop.

Maybe I'm just paranoid after Sundays super hot day, it's not like the car gets a punishing like that in those temps everyday

Why not just do it, i have one large 14 inch one behind mine and on hot days I did turn it on . Unfortunately the relay poped last friday , wished i fixed it . Also it will cool the oil cooler that you have behind the FMIC, I beleive there nothing like making sure the engine stays cool.

My setup are :

1* 7inch fan on the oil cooler

2 *12 inch on the rad

1 * 14inch on the aircon rad to help flow

My average temps on oil and water are around 70-80 degrees on a very hot day.

It's a good idea Jamie. Another issue I was trying to solve with the fans was not only getting more air over the FMIC, I'd be getting more air over the rad.

My thicker FMIC is even more restrictive to the rad than before. At TOTB in queues my water temps would steadily rise to the point where I had to turn the car off while waiting, or turn the heaters on full wack (I was sweating like **** :D as I had wisely removed my A/C if you recall :D :D).

I was hoping the fans would act as a triple edged sword creating more airflow over my FMIC, oil cooler & radiator all in one swoop.

Maybe I'm just paranoid after Sundays super hot day, it's not like the car gets a punishing like that in those temps everyday

What electric rad fans do you have and do you know what sort of volume they shift?

Actually, does anyone know the stock fan cfm at any particular engine speeds - i guess idle speed and say 2000rpm would be sensible numbers to start with....

What electric rad fans do you have and do you know what sort of volume they shift?

Actually, does anyone know the stock fan cfm at any particular engine speeds - i guess idle speed and say 2000rpm would be sensible numbers to start with....

I have the AAP electric fan kit @ shroud, that's 2 Zirgo fans producing 3,350 to 3,400 CFM between them (if you go off MVP website, I haven't checked what the manufacturers say, I know similar Spal will shift 1,360 each). EDIT : Looking on the specs of the Zirgo fans I doubt they can shift as much as an equivalent sized Spal, when I get home tonight I'll see exactly what they are capable of

I think before I try I'm going to get some data withou, at least that way I can compare & just remove if they haven't worked

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

IMy thicker FMIC is even more restrictive to the rad than before. At TOTB in queues my water temps would steadily rise to the point where I had to turn the car off while waiting

What was the temperature at the weekend? Was the stock temp gauge going into the red?

It's 30°-38° degrees here most of the summer, I'm regularly stuck in traffic and never have any overheating problems.

What radiator do you have fitted? Do you still have the viscous fan fitted?

It was very hot but I think it had something to do with hamering down the quarter mile then siting in the queues after :)

My car is ok in traffic but after the runs we were doing the cars did not get the chance to cool down.

What was the temperature at the weekend? Was the stock temp gauge going into the red?

It's 30°-38° degrees here most of the summer, I'm regularly stuck in traffic and never have any overheating problems.

What radiator do you have fitted? Do you still have the viscous fan fitted?

Not sure on the temp on the day but it was HOT with no breeze, hotter than the VMax day I was on & that was 26°, maybe 27-28° I'd guess.

Car was fine when I was moving 80-90°, it was just when I was sat for long periods it would be upto 95° (we can't really count switching off when I was waiting to go up the 1/4 as that was purely to have the car as cold as poss for the run)

I have a Koyo rad, I don't have the stock viscous fan Nic no.

The viscous fan draws air from the front over the engine blowing it out over the windscreen i think. Well my windscreen can steam up temporarily on the outside when its raining as the engines getting a warm start.

So maybe get all the fans blowing the same direction and the jobs a good un.

The viscous fan draws air from the front over the engine blowing it out over the windscreen i think. Well my windscreen can steam up temporarily on the outside when its raining as the engines getting a warm start.

So maybe get all the fans blowing the same direction and the jobs a good un.

Unless you have a missing seal, the air exits from under the car.

I have the stock fan on one side and a large spal on the other, stock shroud.

When I was planning on using the Th400, box I was going to run three coolers one with a fan and two without, at high speeds the fan causes an obstruction.