The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back after a test drive!! Undecided!!

Guest jonny116

Guest jonny116

JM Imports, fantastic!! Really genuine sound advice. Well have been for a test drive yesterday in a N/A now and this one is coming up for sale when it arrives:

http://www.goo-net.com/used/spread/goo/11/700090122720080629001.html

Havent seen this colour around before and really like it! Any thoughts???

Really really nice the one I drove, solid to drive n sound fantastic. Maybe a little on the slow side is my only thought but cant realy afford a top spec manual TT!!

BUT whilst I was at JM I saw a black RX7 with a wide bodykit on, 55k (miles) with engine rubuild 10K ago and im really torn between the two so have come back on here to ask for some advice (biast as it may be!!).

Heres the RX for sale:

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/cardetails/maxda/rx715.html

Im getting really put off by some peoples running costs, i.e. £1500 a year maintenance. This sound bout right n I shud just go with my first instict and pick the supe up!!???

Just completely torn between them!!

Welcome,

My initial thoughts were N/A sup over an RX7??

but after seeing both examples its gotta be the N/A, for two reasons,

Its by far the better looking and all round general example,

Petrol prices,

An RX7 is a great car, in every aspect of performance and looks, but it's a thirsty little beast and high maintenance

The N/A is practically bullet proof in stock form, this example is a very nice car with all the trimmings, and will go rather well

Once you have taken your time getting used to the N/A you can then decide to transplant a TT lump, by that time you should have a rough idea of how petrol prices are going, and will know what's the best thing to do

HTH

tricky one.

Having had a rx7 and now owning a supra its a hard call.

Rx7 is definitely an eye catcher, and gets attention like no other. But cost of maintenance and practicalities put me off it.

Supra is great everyday sports car, which is much more reliable.

Personally I would put it down to:

1) if you want attention and speed - go for rx7 but you'll find you'll be driving it far less (once-twice a week very few miles most likely)

2) if you want a car you can drive all the time, more often and has ok performance, and good looks, get the supra. Its far cheaper and more accessible to tune the supra than a rx7 - any garage can fix up a supe, this is not so with a rx7 (that said, little can be done to a NA)

Guest jonny116

Afraid i use my car everyday, probably bout 10 to 15 miles a day on average.

I obviously love the look of the supra but think the RX tops it, especially all stealthed out in black like that one.

Practicalities i.e. getting people in n stuff dosent bother me but if im goin to be paying hundreds a month maintaining an RX i couldent really go for it!!

Out of curiosity how much does a single turbo cost for an N.A? or better off with just getting a TT conversion?

Afraid i use my car everyday, probably bout 10 to 15 miles a day on average.

I obviously love the look of the supra but think the RX tops it, especially all stealthed out in black like that one.

Practicalities i.e. getting people in n stuff dosent bother me but if im goin to be paying hundreds a month maintaining an RX i couldent really go for it!!

Out of curiosity how much does a single turbo cost for an N.A? or better off with just getting a TT conversion?

for reliability and 'tuneablility' I'd just advise a tt conversion (about 2k all in). Sounds a lot but opens up for more doors and is more reliable. Single conversion kits for NA's I often see being taken off peoples cars which to me says they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I obviously could be wrong, but I have never heard a complaint from a NA owner who did a TT conversion, but I have from people who did single turbo conversions

If you can't afford the RX7 I wouldnt even dream of going single turbo on an N/A sup let alone a TT,

If you think you will be a lil better off in the not too near future, then buy neither, save more and buy a single already done, if you buy a single off someone like Jurgen then it will be pricey but nowhere near as much as what it would be to do yourself, and should be relatively reliable with the exeption of a remap for our rubbish fuel over here

Guest jonny116

No, i understand. I just thought a single turbo would be relativley easy to do. Anyone ever supercharge these??

Am starting to swing towards the supra here, but that RX has blown me away a bit!!

Its not day to day running i would struggle with, its if something goes wrong and will cost £400 every couple of months on repairs.

any ideas what this bumper is?

Made by a Japanese company called Garage Paddy, very rare bodykit.

http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goodsimg/paddy.co.jp/goodsimg/E80SS/sub2.jpg http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goodsimg/paddy.co.jp/goodsimg/E80BF/sub1.jpg http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goodsimg/paddy.co.jp/goodsimg/E80SS/sub1.jpg http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goodsimg/paddy.co.jp/goodsimg/E80MG/sub1.jpg http://shop.yumetenpo.jp/goodsimg/paddy.co.jp/goodsimg/E80MG/sub2.jpg

Single conversion done 'properly' a LOT of money, the turbo kit is only a small part of the overall cost. You'd be needing.

turbo kit (manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe/midpipe, induction kit, etc.)

intercooler and pipes

oil/water lines

oil breather kit

gauges (minimum AFR, boost, EGT)

boost controller

clutch at minimum, you'll probably find you need a complete 6spd gearbox though to handle the power.

oil cooler

ECU, harnesses, sensor + mapping

fuel injectors

fuel rail

fuel lines

fuel pressure regulator

fuel pump

exhaust

various gaskets and fittings

spark plugs (2 sets as 1 usually gets fouled when mapping)

exhaust bandage and heat proof material.

engine oil and oil filter

decent brakes so you can stop...

Guest jonny116

Well iv been round the RX forums and called a couple of garages and think im decided on Supra, too right eh!!!! They seem like a right pesimistic lot unfortunatly!!

haha, what is the price difference between N/A manual and TT Manual??

Hi Fellah ;)

Supra's going to do you well, better than the RX7 :p

For a good NA 5 speed manual (the facelift had a 6 speed fitted) you'd be looking at around 4k, maybe a little more if its been well looked after. There are not too many unmolested TT's, fewer still with manual boxes :eyebrows: but 7K should be enough, maybe more maybe less as it will depend on what upgrades it's had.

But that supra looks gorgeous, like Nic said unusual kit, very tidy package, looks like its had a bit of work under the bonnet, maybe a slight boost to performance although you'll struggle to get much more bhp out of an NA without throwing silly money at it.

Go for the NA Jurgen's getting you, see what you think. You can always sell it on and get a TT, can't see you having any trouble shifting it !!:D

Linda

x

I've had an FD RX-7 and I can say its the best car I have owned by a million miles, they are quick, fun, handle superbly and are damn right beautiful to look at - I miss mine like crazy.

However, I can do all my mechanic work myself and in 5 years of owning the FD I covered about 4k/5k, they are a bit of a ticking time bomb but when they are running well there aren't many cars out there to touch them!

Really really nice the one I drove, solid to drive n sound fantastic. Maybe a little on the slow side is my only thought but cant realy afford a top spec manual TT!!

BUT whilst I was at JM I saw a black RX7 with a wide bodykit on, 55k (miles) with engine rubuild 10K ago and im really torn between the two so have come back on here to ask for some advice (biast as it may be!!).

if you can afford 10k on a rex....what sort of spec TT are you looking at?? you would get a really nice TT for that

> I read your initial post wrong - IGNORE ME

take the supra.

if cost is an issue then you will be laughing going to the bank with the supra

and crying if you choose the rex.

if you are lucky with the rex it will cost the same as a TT to run but if not then the sky is the liimit.

if your going to buy the sup the na is more like an ordinary car to run but with looks to die for :-)

thats my opinion and in the end of the day your money is yours and hopefully you will know what suits you.

N/A supra by a mile mate. Its stunning. The upkeep of the N/A will be nothing like either a sup TT or a RX-7.

Facelift N/A in gunmetal is stunning. You can save up for a TT transplant later on in life.

That gunmetal looks to be quicksilver to me...