The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V10 transplant unit?

Chris Wilson

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/category.php?cat=73

Some nice cars on that site Chris. Looks like someones clearing out thier collection of Jaguar xj220s :blink:

They must have been the biggest con from Jaguar ever. Dread to think how much people have lost on those things, they're right lemons, and poles apart from what people put deposits on.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/Top_ten_article.aspx?cp-documentid=475432

Just like the MKIV, if you do decide to blow your brains out on one of these 7 foot 3 inch wide leviathans, you can upgrade the (dreadful stock) brakes, de cat them, make them noisier and fiddle with the ecu :)

http://www.donlawracing.com/220_Upgrade.htm

Now this is ALLEGEDLY, but I was told Don Law was amazed that having spent ludicrous money on these things, new, some folks were then up for trying to make a silk purse out of a veritable sow's ear. You just take the money and run , I guess... ;)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Still in for the Toyota V8.. :)

Huge advantages over the 5.0 BMW V10:

Available stroker kits bring the displacement to both 5.4L and 5.65L

Strong Iron block

Easy to integrate into the MKIV Supra

Drop in/bolt on capability

Great heads

Readily available tq conveters for Th400 trans

Readily available clutches for V160 trans

The list goes on :)

That would be interesting... but what else would you need?

Der werks... :)

Eric

Edited by cowboy bebop (see edit history)

Eric, in all honesty I think the V10 will knock the bollocks off the UZ-FE engines. There's pleny of turbocharged and supercharged BMW's in Germany with this engine that have proven to do 210-240mph at Nardo in Italy, on 100 octane V-power.

That lump Chris linked to in the OP says it's £8k, what concerns me though is how much is that gearbox to use it!

Eric, in all honesty I think the V10 will knock the bollocks off the UZ-FE engines. There's pleny of turbocharged and supercharged BMW's in Germany with this engine that have proven to do 210-240mph at Nardo in Italy, on 100 octane V-power.

That lump Chris linked to in the OP says it's £8k, what concerns me though is how much is that gearbox to use it!

Stock for stock, I suppose on paper it's possible that BMW has a slight advantage, however I'm of the strong opinion of that's where it ends. So far in it's most potent form, the late model 'uz-fe motors have made a consistant 17-1800HP, and while it's apples to oranges in to a street driven setup, may of the components are the same. The potential of the 'uz-fe is a very high bar to meet.

As for the Bmw V10, it's a nice motor for a one off, but let's be honest here.. a one off may be about as far as it goes. There's a lot of questions I'd have about the block and heads as far as performance is concerned. Way too many to list here all at once. But having developed/in developement of a V8 swap for the Supra, I can honestly say that finding the core motor is only about 5% of the battle. Making it work is where the real money comes in. Fwiw, the Bmw V10 is being advertised at 8KGBP, and for that price you can have a similar displacement V8 built well, and ready to drop into the Supra. Add 3800GBP and you can have a twin turbo kit that'll kick the crap out most anything on the road.

Don't suppose the V160/1 would be able to be used? Do the engines spin the same way?

Hmm ... V10 Supra ... mmmm

Possibly the V160 can be used, and that goes into what I was talking about before. To do it right, you need the exact face of the V160 and BMW motor, then produce an adapter plate. I suppose an adapter could be whipped up but the trans would never be 100% true. The inital costs to do it right could run into the thousands. Then what is the crank offset? The 'uz-fe is lucky because all of the numbers jive, but in the case of the BMW, will the input needle go into the bearing at all? or go in too far? Then there's the issue of the clutch. The OEM clutch is useless unless by some miracle the hub is a V160 pattern. A custom clutch can be tacked on as a developement cost.

I want to say though that I'm all for swaps (obviously :) ), but it's important not to get lost in the monitary aspect of it. The costs are staggeringly high to do a swap properly. Never in the MKIV can a motor just be purchased and dropped in. It takes loads of time, loads of effort, and loads of cash to get it all working right. From a customers point of view though, and lucky enough, all the the developement costs are immaterial. Customers want something that arrives on the pallet and is ready to rock n' roll.

Thanks!

Eric

Edited by cowboy bebop (see edit history)

and for that price you can have a similar displacement V8 built well, and ready to drop into the Supra. Add 3800GBP and you can have a twin turbo kit that'll kick the crap out most anything on the road.

I like the sound of that, the problem is that UK Supra prices are so low these days that you'd be investing 2x the value of the car in the engine, I reckon it would be worth it though :)

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-kitten-is-excited-about-bacon.jpg

(replace "bacon" with "£11,500 for a TT V8" please)

The V6 would fit length and width wise, no problem, you could get it way back in the bay for better weight distribution. Looks tall though, and the plumbing would probably be a nightmare. Eminently doable though :) Chrysler V6 would be a nice N/A lump, all alloy, 3.5 litre, about 380 BHP on mild cams and throttle bodies, still on hydraulic lifters with excellent longevity. There's one sat in my workshop with a dry sump on it and a lightweight flywheel. Thinking of putting it in the Zeus actually.

Lots

:)

I'd honestly would rather talk about a UZ-FE on readily available UK pump juice (ie 97-100 ron). If a UZ pasts the M5 on proper pump fuel then fair play but lets all compare like for like.

The V10 is already a low inertia, free spinning lump, tractable from tickover with a lot of grunt.

The parts are eye watering in cost I conceed that.

:)

I'd honestly would rather talk about a UZ-FE on readily available UK pump juice (ie 97-100 ron). If a UZ pasts the M5 on proper pump fuel then fair play but lets all compare like for like.

The V10 is already a low inertia, free spinning lump, tractable from tickover with a lot of grunt.

The parts are eye watering in cost I conceed that.

Sure thing, the UK is blessed with it's share of the jungle juice :) On 100 ron fuel straight out of the pump, I'll wager a steak dinner that I can supply a V8TT that makes in the range of 700-750rwhp, be easily streetable and mild mannered off the boost, and come in well below the pricetag of a similarly outfitted B'mer V10, and rising above all that.. be a motor/ turbo kit ready to drop in.

The 2uz can be outfitted with lightweight internals and clutch. The clutch I have in mind only weighs 19lbs w/ flywheel (1.3 stone). The rod ratio on the 2uz is a near perfect 1.73, and the 3uz is even better at 1.79. By contrast the 2jz is a less favorable 1.65.

Eric

• 1 month later...