The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi folks :)

Guest DesmoRob

Guest DesmoRob

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rob, and I am new to this site as well as Supras. In two weeks time I'm either going to buy or leave alone (based on what you guys think) a naturally aspirated MKIV Supra out of Japan. It is in great condition, has 101,000 kilometers on it, and is a 5 speed. I was wondering, from the diehard supra fan's point of view. Is it worth it to get a non turbo supra, or should I forget it and keep saving up for the considerably higher priced TT? What can I expect from this car as far as performance and potential for future upgrades are concerned. If there are any reliability issues I should be weary of, it would be good to know them too of course. The model year is 1993, the intro year I believe.

Thanks to all in advance,

Rob

Hello and welcome to the club Rob!

I've only owned an NA supra (mine's a 1993 or 1994), and I love it. But if you think you'll yearn for more power later on, then I'd strongly suggest you buy a TT. TT engines are far more tunable and upgradeable. There are very few power modifications for the NA supra, and very quickly you'll need to spend a lot to gain just a few horse power.

Best thing, as always, is to try both if you can before you buy.

If looked after, both the TT and NA are very reliable. The main reliability issues come from badly-conceived or executed modifications. Check the heater matrix still works: that can be expensive to fix.

Edited by stevie_b
typo (see edit history)

Guest DesmoRob

Umm my past car history. lol well lets just say its one that I've learned from. First of all I'm nearly 21 years old. I started out with a VW Jetta 2.0 '01. It was exactly one year old when one night I thought I was michael schumacher but wasn't. I rolled it going through a sweeper at a speed far exceeding the capabilities of both mine and the car's.

The result was an insurance claim check that got me behind the wheel of a 2002 Acura RSX (Honda Integra in europe). This car has been treated with much respect and is driven in a sane manner. I no longer do stupid things behind the wheel and have become a defensive driver as opposed to the offensive driver I was in the past. Not to say that I don't still like to have fun, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Guest CoolsBlue
Not to say that I don't still like to have fun, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Well said. Welcome mate:)

Guest DesmoRob

Thanks for the hellos from everyone :).

I've got a question now regarding the different applications of the MKIV's naturally aspirated inline 6. The concern is parts availability. The dealer I'm buying from assures me they are available as the engine has been used in various cars that have also come to Canada. So now I was wondering if you lads could tell me what those cars were.

Thanks again for your input, you are a great asset to my decision making process.

Rob :)

I no longer do stupid things behind the wheel and have become a defensive driver as opposed to the offensive driver I was in the past. Not to say that I don't still like to have fun, but there is a time and a place for everything.

Well said. That sums up my attitude too.