The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto box manual mode question?

Chris and Alana

I know there have been many threads on the autobox and manual mode but I have not found the answer to my question :( when using manual mode you can move the auto stick between 2nd and third gear (D) but if you want 1st you have to push the button in on the auto stick as it doesnt simply slide. I was wanting to know what happens with neutral and reverse. Is there a block to prevent an accidental change into N or R? and if not what happens if you then aim for D and go one further into N or R? can you simply put it back into D without any fuss? I obviously do not want to try this to find out what happens so thought I would ask :)

As far as I know now, is that you have to use the button to go into 1st but it will slide into second third and neutral. From the replies from the guy's above it will not slide into reverse which is good, lol. they should have put a stop on it going into N as it's not needed while moving and taken the stop off from 1st so it can be slid into 1st 2nd and 3rd for ease and not have to worry about putting it in N or R by accident.

It seems to point that toyota may have intended the manu mode to only allow you to shift between 2 and 3 on the roll?

Well yeah it does, but why would they also intent/let you slide it into neutral on the roll? when you going for it and you ambitiously go to slide it into third it would be quite easy to slip it into neutral by mistake, nothing can be done obviously as thats how it is, just might of made more sense to allow all the forwad gears to be slipped into place blocking off neutral, reverse ect. That way the button would never have to be pressed while moving which would eliminate any chance of slipping it into N or R by mistake. As mentioned before some people press the button all the time to change gear in manu mode which gives a greater change of hitting R instead of just slipping into N.

Anyway, it doesnt matter really as it is how it is, but now I know how it works just seemed as though it would have made more sense to do it a little bit differantly.

My thoughts are the man mode was probably a late addition in design. And they probably didnt really think about it.

Once your used to the gearbox feel tho and length of shift you should really do this. Ive never done it although am careful not to do. Maybe thats because ive been using the button tho.

manual mode is the only way to truly appreciate the exhaust sound track imo.

Auto mode simply (and obviously) refuses to hold high revs, which is when the car sounds the business.

totally agree! I have also found it is quickest in manual mode.

when I first got the car and was playing with the modes I found it very easy to slip it into N accidentally when having a spirited drive! they should have had the lock on N and not R imo.

The 1st day I had mine I tried it in manu mode and pressed the button, thinking I needed to tget out of 1st, and stuck it straight into reverse. It didn't like it but in was only an instant, thankfully no damage was done.

The 1st day I had mine I tried it in manu mode and pressed the button, thinking I needed to tget out of 1st, and stuck it straight into reverse. It didn't like it but in was only an instant, thankfully no damage was done.

lol, at least no damage was done :) I dont think they thought about the manu mode gear stick operation very much before making it, lol. I wonder if it is possible to change the way the blocks on the auto stick work and take the block off 1st and put one on N so you can change all forward gears without pressing the button and therefore eliminating accidental slipage into N or R. I may do some research but I dont think I will get far :(

I've never really used manual mode, I don't think you need it, put it in 2 and floor it, once you're over a certain rev count, shift it to D, if you're driving hard it will rev to the red line then shift into 3rd (have the O/D off). Then when you wnat to go to 4th turn the O/D on as with it off it will rev to the red line. If using manual mode you'll end up shifting before the redline most times, if not you'll be bouncing off the rev limit. I'd prefer to not lose power and let it shift up automatically as it hits the red.

The danger with manual is sliding it into N thinking you're in 2 when you're in D (display on the clocks isn't visible enough when giving it WOT and keeping an eye on the road), you'll know about it when you do it as you'll hit the rev limiter and hear a loud banging noise (not a nice sound :()

You can then engine brake easily or shift down from 4th by firstly turning off the O/D, then shifting it down to 2....

Manual mode is a bit overrated I think when the above will cover most options for you....

The thing is it’s not really a manual mode, it’s not an after thought either as all auto Toyotas and in fact most auto cars in general from the 90’s use that lay out.

It’s not really meant for changing gear manually, it’s actually meant for engine braking when going down hills etc. Obviously you can use it to change manually, however you need to be good at judging when you need to select the next gear or you will hit the limiter for a good few seconds before the change.

I drive a manual BTW, clutches and manuals are best. :p

EDIT: It seems they are meant for changing manually, in which case I agree it's an afterthought as that layout has been the same for a long time.

Edited by NeoMagic (see edit history)

I would think that blocking Neutral would be dangerous. What if the throttle jammed open? :blink:

I didnt mean blocking it off completly, just so that it doesnt slide into N and you would have to use the button on the auto shifter to put in N if need be. I might try the above later when Im out and see how it drives. It seems there are quite a few different ways to use the autobox and having not explored all the possibilities it's like a new toy :)

I didnt even know it slid from 2 to 3. Thought you had to use the button there too.

you dont need the button from 2 - 3, only to get into 1st, and then slides all the way up until you want to park then u need the button to get into p