The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A proper, modern, airbag steering wheel.

carl0s

One of the most frustrating things, in my opinion, about owning a non-VVTi facelift car, is that it has the old style four-spoke airbag steering wheel rather than the VVTi-style steering wheel.

So I decided to do something about it, which involved sourcing a steering wheel, an airbag, and an airbag adapter harness, and praying it would all work out.

Here are the results:

http://www.css-networks.com/steering1.jpg

http://www.css-networks.com/steering2.jpg

What do you think?

I have another complete set for sale if anybody's interested. This is an identical wheel, airbag, and airbag adapter harness. You need to use the horn plug from the existing steering wheel.

Edited by carl0s (see edit history)

Nice job, but what did you have aginst the 4 spoke? I like it, although I will soon have a TRD wheel once it gets in from Japan. The only reason I went for the TRD over the 4 spoke was that I wanted a new airbag and Toyota charge approx £600+ (for wheel and airbag)

Nice job, but what did you have aginst the 4 spoke? I like it, although I will soon have a TRD wheel once it gets in from Japan. The only reason I went for the TRD over the 4 spoke was that I wanted a new airbag and Toyota charge approx £600+ (for wheel and airbag)

I don't have anything against it, I just think it's old fashioned and not sporty looking.

With the amount of people who buy aftermarket steering-wheels on here, I am surprised you went to all that expense to get an airbag for your four-spoke. Surely there are loads of 4-spoke Supra steering wheels sat in sheds that people wouldn't want more than £100 for?

Is it true that airbags are meant to be tested every 10 years?

That's what it says in the Toyota literature. No idea how they're meant to be tested. It's after 10 years, and every two years then after.

To be honest I still don't think this looks as good as the proper VVTi Supra one. The wheel is the same, but the VVTi airbag is a little different with an embossed Toyota emblem, and I think that looks better. Here's a pic:

http://www.css-networks.com/steering-vvti.jpg

Guest CoolsBlue

my supes a non airbag, did it fit with out any problems? presume the wheel went on fine, then the nut? nothing else was needed?

Nice work mate - I've been thinking along the same lines as you as well :)

LOVE the TRD wheel, and may get one - just think that the std 4-spoke is a bit naff. Trying to vouch £400 for a steering wheel is a lot of money though!

I see your point, I agree about the costs and all but I like the safety of an airbag and wanted a new airbag. Therefore my only real option was to go for the TRD, which I do also like quite a lot. I just think a new (leather) 4 spoke suits the car. It may look a bit dated but lets be honest, the car is dated!!

LOVE the TRD wheel, and may get one - just think that the std 4-spoke is a bit naff. Trying to vouch £400 for a steering wheel is a lot of money though!

I am thinking £150 for this spare set. That covers the cost of the wheel, airbag, adapter harness, and me having to drive quite a way to pick up the airbag. The Toyota badge on the airbag is a little dented though :( I'm sure I've seem them on eBay though.

my supes a non airbag, did it fit with out any problems? presume the wheel went on fine, then the nut? nothing else was needed?

Everything went on fine. The airbag has the wrong connector and needs this adapter harness, and the horn plug from the old wheel needs to be used. Other than that the spline is the same.

Removing the nut was a piece of cake with the impact gun. I'm sure the breaker bar would have undone it fine too. Pulling the wheel off was difficult as it always is. I tried a lump hammer briefly then decided to just sit arms out straight either side and pull hard, remembering that the last time I did it I ended up smacking myself in the face with the steering wheel, so I made sure to keep my arms straight. Came off easy then.

Edited by carl0s (see edit history)

Nice work mate - I've been thinking along the same lines as you as well :)

Exactly mate. I'd have to have a flush month to go TRD, which is the only wheel I'd look at. TBH steeribg wheel = input = I'd rather spend that on more functional, safe, mods. :)

I bought myself the limited edition genuine supra carbon fibre steering wheel, and then realised that I had a tiptronic wheel, so couldn't use it. I eventually sold it to my mate and now that I'm going manual I want to kick myself :(

PS: Good job mate, like it!