The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking for a Supra £3-4k

Guest Albreda

Guest Albreda

Hi

I was (until last saturday) a GT4 owner. I'm looking to buy a Supra twin turbo now. Could you give me any tips on what to look for? What are the more popular Supras?

Any advice is welcome.

Edited by Albreda (see edit history)

an engine that works would be my first check ;)

Seriously - 6k will get you a pretty nice TT - more likely an auto rather than manual - but less than that and you'll need to be VERY careful with what you buy.

On the other hand - same money will get a lovely N/A!

Guest Albreda
Find a bit more cash and you could buy mine..... :)

Flynn, that is very impresive car! I'd certainly consider it. I was looking at it earlier actually :)

What's the story with the leaking seal though? Would you consider getting it fixed?

Edited by Albreda (see edit history)

If you can't afford to buy a good one, you can't afford to run a bad one. If you have to stretch to find £6k you can't afford a Supra. What are you going to do if in 6 months time you need £1000 to replace the heater matrix, or £800 to do the valve stem seals? What if a turbocharger blows?

If you can't afford to buy a good one, you can't afford to run a bad one. If you have to stretch to find £6k you can't afford a Supra. What are you going to do if in 6 months time you need £1000 to replace the heater matrix, or £800 to do the valve stem seals? What if a turbocharger blows?

Brilliantly put

Flynn, that is very impresive car! I'd certainly consider it. I was looking at it earlier actually :)

What's the story with the leaking seal though? Would you consider getting it fixed?

I'd consider getting a quote to get it fixed and discuss a discount. My original asking price was more but considering the oil leak I had already reduced it) The leak hasn't changed in the three years I've had the car. It's never concerned me and I've had two mechanic check it out and both have advised me to leave it alone because the oil loss is very small.

Nice comment.

It's not about buying a Supra ... but you have to be aware that they are at least 10 years old. If you're lucky, you'll find a Supe that is in very good condition. If not, you will quickly be investing a lot of cash to keep it running.

Unfortunately, you don't see into the engine's heart ... and you won't see how the previous owner(s) drove it.

Be careful. Don't go to your limit with the price you want to pay.

Good luck with your search.

Guest Albreda

Hey guys

I've made the cardinal forum sin of not giving a proper account in my opening post. It's not a lack of being able to aford to maintain a Supra, I'm quite able to deal with any costs.

My situation is that I managed to write off my GT4 last saturday, rear-ending a people carrier with a towbar - at slow speed. I do need a car sooner rather than later, and with savings and insurance could afford a 6k Supra. Being a GT4 man till now, I'm no stranger to maintenance costs - though coming on here with half an account I appreciate the jibes.

Apologies guys.

Guest Budz86

I have just been looking at TT's. I found that for a decent one that works you will be looking at 7-9k. If you want the engine modded, expect to pay more.

I decided to go with the N/A in the end and it is still a brilliant car. Had no problems with it at all.

First thing you will need to decide is if you want an auto or manual, but if you are set on a TT then your budget might dictate this. If you do end up wanting a TT manual, it will take you a while to find one so be prepared to wait!

There are some good examples on here so have a scout. Colsop's is very nice (went to see him a couple of weeks back)

Hey guys

I've made the cardinal forum sin of not giving a proper account in my opening post. It's not a lack of being able to aford to maintain a Supra, I'm quite able to deal with any costs.

My situation is that I managed to write off my GT4 last saturday, rear-ending a people carrier with a towbar - at slow speed. I do need a car sooner rather than later, and with savings and insurance could afford a 6k Supra. Being a GT4 man till now, I'm no stranger to maintenance costs - though coming on here with half an account I appreciate the jibes.

Apologies guys.

Theres a TT 6 speed in need of some TLC for sale on here. Think its the bodywork thats in poor condition rather than the engine. 100k miles but its only around £6k so as long as you dont want to turn heads it will probably do you.

PM Colsoop