The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MkIV Gearbox: Manual Vs Automatic

Guest Darren456

Guest Darren456

Hey everyone,

As I'm looking at buying a Supra sometime over the next few months I was wondering which is the best gearbox to go with; Manual or Auto?

I'll be buying an early model N/A Supra and ideally wanted a Manual, but there are alot of decent looking Auto's available at the moment that come with Manual Over-rides or something. Are these auto boxes any good? Or would I always be better off buying a manual?

I commute back and forth to work everyday on a 25 mile round trip and an auto would be nice, but the 'racer' in me craves manual's.

Is the over-ride any good on the auto boxes, or is it quite a basic and glitchy design like on alot of other older cars? For the most part I'll be leaving it in standard Auto, but I would like to be able to give it some every now and again.

Also, does the MPG and performance of the car suffer badly from an auto box, or does it cope with it quite well? I'm not sure of the performance figures of the early model auto N/A Supra's, but if they are dire I might have to go with a Manual.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no traction control on the NA car, and it's not a function of the gearbox anyway.

The autobox is IMHO awesome. It makes the car into some sort of futuristic spaceship machine. The way it changes to the next gear is just so perfect and quick. I like it :thumbs:

I don't think it affects economy too badly, not in the grand scheme of things anyway. The losses are negligible considering the overall fuel-inefficiency of the car as a whole, IMO.

The autobox is great. Dont be put off by all the 6speed conversions that people do, I secretly believe they regret it afterwards but cant bring themselves to admit it.

I know I drove a 6sp UK spec for 4 years and kept telling myself it was a great gearbox, when it turns out the auto makes me much happier.

I have now owned and driven a j-spec auto modified up past BPU, UK spec 6sp modified up to single turbo, and a j-spec tiptronic not modified at all (yet). And I will never go back to a 6sp, its auto all the way for me.

JB

Guest Budz86

Think this is all a mater of personal opinion mate. Depends if you want an 'involving' drive or a relaxed one.

From the reports I have heard, both boxes (esp. the 6 sp Getrag) are excellent. Best thing is to drive both and see for yourself which one you prefer! :D

Guest Darren456

Thanks for all the replies guys. I mean, I'll be getting an old N/A Supra, so want to go for the box that will give the best performance, from what's been said they seem pretty much on par.

Did the early Supra's come with a 5spd Manual or 6spd? And if they did come with a 5 speed was it any good? When compared to say an early auto box of the same year? (1993/1994)

6 Speed FTMFW Hell yeah dude!!:cool::D:p

In all seriousness, what are you using the car for? If its a daily, you don't intend to take to the track, but perhaps a drag strip and like the occasional boost of power then yeah, an auto is a good call

The 6Speed is a more involving drive, and some of these old codgers:innocent: are just too lazy to use that extra pedal,

With prices these days 6spd's and Auto's are roughly the same, the manual being maybe 1g more at bpu level

The MKIV auto box was regarded as the industry standard in its day, and it's still a damned good gearbox today. The Getrag is very agricultural and the change is slow and unpleasant, but it's tough and has proven very reliable. You have to try both types over a decent mileage and decide for yourself. For a road car I'd get an auto version myself, if you want to do a lot of track days the manual is probably a better choice.

I prefer the manual because I find it easier to use the whole powerband of the car and I've got more control over the torque curve through corners.

I do however think that the autobox does have some serious advantages... one of which is that an auto Supra is faster in a straight line.

It's not, but it's easier to get off the line quicker.

I was under the impression, through being at POD, that the auto supra was hard to get off the line. manual is better for the launch, but the auto is far superior in a straight line following the launch due to the perfect and super fast gear changes

It is, the gear changes are faster than you could realistically acheive in a manual. Only up to silly speeds of course, when the manual takes over.

Foot to the floor - quick shift and a little help from the Gear change ignition cut, I'd beg to differ:innocent:

I was under the impression, through being at POD, that the auto supra was hard to get off the line. manual is better for the launch, but the auto is far superior in a straight line following the launch due to the perfect and super fast gear changes

You can use power braking with the auto to achieve a good launch, it takes practice to get right though.

Foot to the floor - quick shift and a little help from the Gear change ignition cut, I'd beg to differ:innocent:

I dunno, I think an auto Supra will still be quicker on the strip regardless. At a track it's a different matter though.