The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spraying a supra

JNk10

What about activator ?

Has anyone else got any comments? Ive not sprayed before, and in three weeks i have to order and prep everything for doing the supra - so i need lots of help really. Ive got a 5 car garage which im putting a space heater in, and sheeting up a booth. I dont know what the car has been sprayed in before, but as it was sprayed this march - im guessing 2k, due to laws on selling cellulose changing last year

Any tips etc ?

Got a suit and mask, got a gravitiy gun and compressor.

Was going to lightly sand the paint and just go for it. Will i still need to primer ontop of other paint ??

Thanks for any help

Thing is, the bloke who sprayed it before didnt take off the seals etc, and instead masked them - so now there are bits of sliver chipping off rounf the rubbers etc. Its got metal flake in it, so i cant match it properly, so im going to have to go for full respray in the base pearl colour, without the flake. Ideally i would have just touched bits in, but ive have taken the original spoiler off and the dick spray around it, and im about to take the mirrors off and the no doubt will be shite too under neath.

Theres only so much you can cover with stickers

No expert but if its flaking now you should really rub the paint down very well indeed or the flaking will continue and effect your new paint, a wipe over with a key solution then primer is a must I would have thought, just going on with new paint onto poorly prep'd old paint is a bad idea for a durable finish

Good luck but if I was you I would bit the bullet and get it done at a garage like Knight Racer, you do all the prep and the cost will be a lot less

Chap, seriously... if you haven't sprayed before it is a bit of an artform. I'm getting better myself but I wouldn't dream of spraying someone else's car. I've got all the correct bits as well such as iSata HVLP spray guns, masks and the lot. Spraying a car is VERY different to rattle can spraying say a wheel.. With a car you have LARGE panel surfaces and you can very quickly see where the runs happen and things like that. It potentionally could go VERY very wrong and no offence but if this is the first time you are spraying you will end up with runs, overspray and the like.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I for one love it when people actually make the effort themselves, BUT also experience needs to play some part.

My previous suggestion still stands, get a few panels from the scrap yard, go to a paint shop and ask for some paint (just get the stuff that they have mixed for someone that didn't pick it up since the colour isn't important), then just get used to the gun and the relevant mixtures, spray pressure, ambient temp, that sort of thing.

Remember you can't have any pollutants in the air, especially something like WD40 or any silicon particles as you will end up with fisheye.

Thanks for your comments mate. TBH i have been thinking i may have bitten off more than i can chew.

Ive done (like you say) tons of rattle can work (lots on public display haha) etc - but its not the same.

I have two other people with me that will help and have sprayed alot before, but their time is short - so i will end up doing most of it, and i really want this to be mint.

I may leave it, and save up for the pro's to do it. My friend has offered to spray it but only in a flat colour (hes never used 2k), and he said "yea no worries i can do this for you in a long weekend - but im slightly dubious

1ltr of wash etch.2ltrs of hs primer.2.5ltrs off waterbase basecoat.2ltrs of hs clear coat all ready for use is the book amount of wet materials required for a full body respray in either dupont,ppg or lesonal.. If you use cheap paint then you will need alot more..

Thanks for your comments mate. TBH i have been thinking i may have bitten off more than i can chew.

Ive done (like you say) tons of rattle can work (lots on public display haha) etc - but its not the same.

I have two other people with me that will help and have sprayed alot before, but their time is short - so i will end up doing most of it, and i really want this to be mint.

I may leave it, and save up for the pro's to do it. My friend has offered to spray it but only in a flat colour (hes never used 2k), and he said "yea no worries i can do this for you in a long weekend - but im slightly dubious

No don't give up completely.... Just don't do the supra yet.. Seriously get down to a breakers yeard and get yourself some panels and just play... Practice on getting a perfect finish on something such as a bonnet or door.. (Doesn't matter if they are dented or anything)