The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra drift ability

AlexM

Since I'm intending to strip my Supra out to do the sprint series & some track days, I was just wondering what it's drift ability would be? It's not something I've ever done, but I would like to learn - preferably without buying yet another sports car. ;)

Are there any necessary/recommended modifications? If so, would any of those hurt it's track/sprint ability?

The car as it stands now is essentially a stock 5spd N/A.

TIA!

If its an N/A your gonna have to gather a bit of speed so make sure you have a lot of space, CW would be able to tell you a bit more but suspension setup is key as is tyre and wheel combo

Check out Orido Drift films on youtube - the ability is there - and if anyone can make the most of it he can, but it is a big heavy brute, and you dont really have power on you side so be careful

but it is a lot of fun - and can be done pretty well(i know someone who's particularly good but I wont give him a bigger head than he has already:innocent:)

Oh forgot about Diff - which Diff do you have?

Edited by bolarbag (see edit history)

If its an N/A your gonna have to gather a bit of speed so make sure you have a lot of space, CW would be able to tell you a bit more but suspension setup is key as is tyre and wheel combo

Check out Orido Drift films on youtube - the ability is there - and if anyone can make the most of it he can, but it is a big heavy brute, and you dont really have power on you side so be carefulOh forgot about Diff - which Diff do you have?

The power was one of my concerns, I can't afford to chuck a TT lump in (with the accompanying UK brakes) for some time - I was hoping with the weight loss it might make it into a different beast though. :)

I think I've seen Orido drift, he really loves his Supra - running a lot more power than me though. :D

The car is standard, so unless there's different standard n/a diffs then it's just a standard one (It's not a part of the car I've ever looked at).

hoff - I'll expect a demonstration at the track day, best get that car ready! :p

Actually, things are begining end of month;)

As in a conversion, or you broke it again and it needs fixing? :p

Some N/A's came with L.S.D others without.... on the engine (vin plate) there is either an A or B i think...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=101452&highlight=vin+decoder

I have a Torsen LSD according to the spreadsheet.

As in a conversion, or you broke it again and it needs fixing? :p

:p No unfortunately not the conversion:( Just looking at smaller wheels and better suspension etc. I've got to get a new bumper too, again. Also got one of nics manifolds to free up a little more power. Thats it really, nothing major, just would like her to handle a little better more that anything:)

And like Ive said to you before, if Im not on track, shot gun for the passengers seat;)

If you are talking big huge smoking arcs then imo more than anything else you will need some bloody big balls. I followed the Bruntingthorpe V-Bomb M5 around once and was amazed at the speed the guy went into the corners.

Imo you would be better off buying a dirt cheap MX5 and put some P6000's on it.

If you are talking big huge smoking arcs then imo more than anything else you will need some bloody big balls. I followed the Bruntingthorpe V-Bomb M5 around once and was amazed at the speed the guy went into the corners.

Imo you would be better off buying a dirt cheap MX5 and put some P6000's on it.

MX-5 apparently has too short a wheelbase to be a good learners car. Regardless of whether or not it's any good though, any 'dirt cheap' car + insurance + mot/tax + service costs is not cheap at all.

It's a case of 'is it a viable car to learn to drift in and have some fun with' (without spending a great deal of money), if it's a 'no' then I just won't bother - I'll wait for another 12-18 months when I can afford an S14/a.

I've had a hunt around, some people say a lightened N/A Supra is a great drift car, others say an N/A Supra has no chance. I don't know anyone who has driven one and had a go, so take it all with lots of salt!

No:d but I might know a man who'll let his go:sly: A 180, which are actually a better quality car than the 200;)

It's a nice thought, but as I said above - another bout of insurance/tax/mot/services etc is just too much money. If I had a tow car + trailer it would be a different matter. :)

It's a nice thought, but as I said above - another bout of insurance/tax/mot/services etc is just too much money. If I had a tow car + trailer it would be a different matter. :)

Fair point mate:). He'd also want £4k (he's at mine now) but that is fully resprayed, kitted with silvia front end too and has been totally set up for drifting. Its got the works.

Fair point mate:). He'd also want £4k (he's at mine now) but that is fully resprayed, kitted with silvia front end too and has been totally set up for drifting. Its got the works.

It sounds nice, but I could have a nice TT lump for that much. :D

They are good fun as well.... although the engines are silly putty as Matt@AFR will vouch for :)

This is true. Are 180s better in that department too being a 2ltr rather than 1.8? I know they tend to have less rusting in the bodywork department, from what Ive seen over the last couple of years of some of my mates owning a few.

This is true. Are 180s better in that department too being a 2ltr rather than 1.8? I know they tend to have less rusting in the bodywork department, from what Ive seen over the last couple of years of some of my mates owning a few.

I have no idea :shrug:, I had the S13 purely for a laugh, I had fun, it went pop :)