The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo any good?

supraspeed

found on flee-bay, my mate wants one and as its dead cheap from the usa he's thinking of getting it and buying an xs power t4 mainfold as well-

is it any good or would he have to do a lot of extra work- he's already got a single turbo supe but the turbo blew and the idiot through it out rather than getting it repaired lol- just wanna know ur opinions so i can take the pi$$ lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T04-T4-Turbocharger-Turbo-Toyota-Supra-Soarer-600BHP_W0QQitemZ140250078466QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140250078466&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

To be fair though, £1000 for a turbocharger is outrageous. They should cost ~£200 IMHO.

£200 for a precision engineered part and high quality casting that can spin at 80k rpm? :blink: You 'aving a larf! Even the sh*t Chinese stuff comes out only slightly less, so god knows how you expect a 'proper' company to develop, test, manufacture and sell an item at profit for only a couple more quid...

£1000 is a bit much, but £500-£800 is about spot on (possibly less now with the US exchange rate)

In the race world a grand won't even pay for a a rebuild. The price of state of the art IHI turbos is now more than a top flight late VVti, so as people suggest, £200 won't buy anything other than a paperweight. Add in an XS manifold and the rest done on a similar budget and he might as well crush the thing and take the weigh in money.

£200 for a precision engineered part and high quality casting that can spin at 80k rpm? :blink: You 'aving a larf! Even the sh*t Chinese stuff comes out only slightly less, so god knows how you expect a 'proper' company to develop, test, manufacture and sell an item at profit for only a couple more quid...

£1000 is a bit much, but £500-£800 is about spot on (possibly less now with the US exchange rate)

but a turbocharger isn't *that* complicated a part though really, is it? I'm sure there's loads of things that spin at tens of thousands of rpms that need to be balanced properly, and don't cost a grand. I suppose £500 is getting closer.

I was doing some work at a composite door company yesterday. I used to do work for another composite door company called Rockdoor too, and their doors were a grand a piece. Can't have cost more than £100 to make ;)

In the race world a grand won't even pay for a a rebuild. The price of state of the art IHI turbos is now more than a top flight late VVti, so as people suggest, £200 won't buy anything other than a paperweight. Add in an XS manifold and the rest done on a similar budget and he might as well crush the thing and take the weigh in money.

I suppose the size of the target market, and the fact that the target market can afford/will pay such amounts plays a part in it.