The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI, after market cams and ecu option...

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Right all bit of advice please...

I know the cam variator on the vvti is only on the intake side so can I fit say a HKS 272 cam on the exhaust side without any side effects?

In regards to controlling it when the single is done I have two options: -

1: - to go with a motec m800 ecu and keep the stock intake cam and use the ecu to control the variator.

2: - get the HKS Valcon kit and control the VVTI via this rather than the ecu, included in the pack is a HKS 264 8.6mm lift intake cam.

Anyone fitted the HKS Valcon kit or experimented with VVTI on the motec ecu?

Appreciate your feedback.

Nick.

I've bought the HKS Valcon kit but have yet to fit it. I guess an advantage of allowing the ECU to control the VVTI is that it can tie it in to all the other adjustments its making, whereas when you control it yourself via the HKS controller then the ECU is unaware of it.

The Valcon cam can apparently adjust to 272 on the intake side! What I plan to do is install the cam anyway, but not sure about which method I'll use to control it yet as I haven't decided on ECU yet. If the ECU can do it, then I'll get that to control the VVTI, but if not, then the HKS controller.

Apparently (and I may be wrong) but I've heard you can still use the HKS controller to control VVTI on the standard VVTI cam...

EDIT: I'm still undecided on whether I need an exhaust cam. I've read on the forum somewhere that you may not need to with the HKS intake cam, but it was a while ago and I can't find the thread.

Guest Nicholas

Interesting might be worth an email to ryan, wez what do you make of the HKS Valcon is it worth getting that with the 264 cam on the intake side or do you think I should just get an aftermarket exhaust cam and keep the stock vvti cam variator?