The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question.. NA to TT related.

IDO

Time is drawing near, after having my NA for 3 and a half years i have nearly got the resource (cash) to turn it in to a tt..

i know buying a tt would have been easier in the long run, but hey i couldn't turn down the deal on the motor i have now.

My question is mainly what kind of paperwork if any is needed to be done? i know insurance will have to be amended (i got quoted cheaper!?!) But does the DVLA need to be informed, does the registration document need to change??

Any info would be a great help, thanks!

I just had a look at log book and couldn't find anything, what would change. There is nothing mentioned about NA/TT at model line, engine number is not shown, it's just chasis no. which is not changing anyway. So there is no point to send documents to DVLA just to get exactly the same one..

Cheers Knonio-nt,

I thought that was the case, not at home at the mo' so don't have the documents about..

Is there any official paper work for changing an engine over, that anyone knows off?

just for reasons like the engine number change etc obviously i will keep paperwork of work done by any garage (IF) i ever think of selling the car (which i hope i won't need to!) would that be ok with a buyer?

I just had a look at log book and couldn't find anything, what would change. There is nothing mentioned about NA/TT at model line, engine number is not shown, it's just chasis no. which is not changing anyway. So there is no point to send documents to DVLA just to get exactly the same one..

Same here i havnt changed anything on mine it says:

Toyota

Supra

Engine No: 2JZ

Nothing there to change. :)

Thanks for the info..

I did ask my mate as he done the same with his rx, he said he did get some documentation but he has sold his now and didn't have anything to check.

I am assuming that he just had doc's form the garage..

Many help for the info guys.. just wanted to make sure before i ended up in trouble or something! (hope that trouble won't happen due to more power after the swap either!)

Cheers dibbley,

was gonna give you a pm about it!

hope your enjoying your work now!

can't wait to see the car at some point..

I am loving it mate so glad i did the conversion you wont be disapointed if you do go ahead and do it.

I cant get over how much quicker it is. Being BPU+ aswell its just insane lol :D

Hey Dibbley,i use a very good local garage,i take it this should be fairly easy for them.Do you need any special gear for it,and how easy are tt engines to come by,cheers :)

I didnt need any special tools so every garage should have every tool they need if not they dont belong near a car its pretty simple. There are a few thing with the wiring but mikosupra has writen all about that in his NA-TT thread which is very helpfull i would print off a copy and give it to any garage who isnt familiar with supras. Also a few people spend alot of time removing the gearbox aswell which you dont have to do.

TT engine conversion do pop up on here from time to time priced around £2000-£2500 that should get you everything you need but then you need to deside what extras you will fit while its being done. FMIC, decat, exhaust system etc definetly put and uprated clutch in aswell ;) i would recommend going BPU at the same time is easier to do while your car is in bits and give great gains in power you can see over 400bhp from that:)

Mine cost me nearly 4k i believe for everything but i did go BPU+ and have a few other bits done while it was off the road.

Edited by dibbleyuk (see edit history)

I have thought about this also and can't see any changes to notify the DVLA of, just the insurance.

Think i'm going to cash some savings in very soon to get this done. Won't do it myself though so will give it to a trader on here to complete.

Those who have done it are you insuring the car as a modified NA or just as a TT?

I have thought about this also and can't see any changes to notify the DVLA of, just the insurance.

Think i'm going to cash some savings in very soon to get this done. Won't do it myself though so will give it to a trader on here to complete.

Those who have done it are you insuring the car as a modified NA or just as a TT?

Mine is insured as a modifed NA i didnt want any confussion if it comes to a claim as the Vin plate states engine 2JZ-GE it obviously wouldnt match up so i fort that was the best thing to do.

I listed every mod with greenlight then they asked what the estimate BHP was and that was that.

Mine is insured as a modifed NA i didnt want any confussion if it comes to a claim as the Vin plate states engine 2JZ-GE it obviously wouldnt match up so i fort that was the best thing to do.

I listed every mod with greenlight then they asked what the estimate BHP was and that was that.

Thanks. Out of interest what was the quote that you got with Greenlight?

I contacted the DVLA after having mine done. They say you do have to notify them when an engine is changed but only if the capacity changes. I told them what I had done and that the N/A engine was replaced with another supra engine but a TT one. The girl on the other end of the phone didnt know what I had to do. I ended the call a little on the confused side but havnt been asked by them to complete any new paperwork.

My insurance is with Sky. The car is insured as a modified N/A but they gave me a quote as if it was a TT, if that makes sense. It was £800 so that was me happy as it was miles lower than anywhere else.

ive had it done and sky class it as a modifed n/a same here they asked about bhp