The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot release doesn't quite

SteveR

Facelift Supra with a TRD spoiler

The boot release handle works fine, and the boot lid moves up as you'd expect, but not enough to entirely clear the locking mechanism so when I walk round to the back I still can't open the boot.

If I hold the boot release lever up, someone else can then open the boot, so it's either the weight of the TRD spoiler or maybe the gas struts are tired - unlikely as it's a year 2000 car - (plus are they really able to do anything when the boot lid is almost closed?), or something is misaligned? It looks fine from inside/outside after close inspection.

Actually thinking about it, I do seem to have to slam the boot and I didn't on my previous Supe, maybe the lock panel thing is a mm too low?

Any advice please, I'd like to fix if possible! :)

Use the key instead....? :shrug:

Well of course, I can (and do) do that, but I'd rather not HAVE to. Plus I'm the sort of person that wants their car to be in tip top condition with everything working fully. If it's fixable why not fix it?

It's also a bugger when you are driving somewhere and just want ot go adjust something that's moving around in the boot as of course you need the key and so have to turn the engine off.

Steve - maybe it's just rubber blocks need changing or something, I really doubt gas struts are pushing tailgate from the start, spoiler shouldn't mess siginificantly as some guys opening their boots with Veilside one on.

Forgot to say, I did those a week or so ago. I hoped that woiuld cure it but it didn't. At least the barely audible but annoying when you know it's there rattle has gone. ;)

Here you go Terry S changes his to a prefacelift..............maybe get on to Jezz.....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=25383&highlight=boot+release

Interesting, thanks I'll go read that! :). P.S. I did have a quick search before posting, promise!! :rolleyes:

I eventually did the mod to retrofit the non facelift boot lock and I then ended up with the boot rattling all the time (as in the problem with the boot rubbers!!) I decided I prefered the fit that the facelift bootlock achieved compared to a boot release that worked :D

Does the cable have any slack in it at either end ?

No I don't think so. I needed to take the boot plastic off the other day (to trace fog light wiring that wasn't working), so took the opportunity to watch the mechanism work whilst I pulled the lever. All seemed fine (apart from eth boot not openeing, grrr).

yep, very common problem for the facelifts. Mark from Phoenix feels they scrimped a little on the facelifts in some respects and this was one of them.

Booo :(

If you pull it twice then it mostly works. Does on mine anyway.

Doesn't work on mine. :(

• 5 months later...

So folks, anyone who is just researching this problem, (like me) all the answers are here - or not as the case may be!!

BTW, my Supe is an imported '97 RZS VVTi, and yes it is infuriating when you cant open the boot when you've got the engine running. I'm gonna try the short and long pulls - at my age my wife tells me I'm no good at pulling anyway :D