The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Inside edges worn excessive - toe in or out?

suprattgaz

I have read all the articles on here ref set-ups for wheel alignment, but no where can I find if it says excessive wear on the inside of the front tyres is due to toe in or toe out. I have had my wheels aligned several times, but I don't think the guys are competant enough. I just wanted to give the fronts a tweak either way, but which way???!!! Excessive wear on the inside edge of the tyre is due to......:search:

Took me 10 seconds max on Google.

Tyre Wear

All tyres should wear in a smooth, even wear pattern when the tyres are maintained with the correct air pressure for the load on the tyre. If tyres begin to show an irregular wear pattern, and the vehicle alignment is correct, sometimes just rotating the tyres by changing direction of rotation and wheel position will allow the tyres to wear evenly.

Toe Wear

A feathered wear pattern on the front tyres typically indicates misalignment (toe in or out). Sometimes a radial tyre will not have this wear pattern unless the toe condition is severe. Instead of the feathered edge wear, the tyre will be worn on the inside or outside shoulder which could be confused with camber wear. A skewed rear axle could show feathered edge wear on one shoulder of one front tyre and feathered edge on the opposite shoulder of the other front tyre. In order to correctly diagnose a tyre wear condition, the motorhome should have the alignment checked on all four wheel positions before any corrections to alignment are made.

Camber Wear

Also known as edge wear, camber wear shows up on the inside or outside shoulders of the tread. Wear on the inside edge of both tyres may be due to negative camber or toe-out, a misalignment. If only one tyre shows edge wear, check for worn kingpin bushings, bent or worn steering components, or excessive positive camber setting.

Hmm, Ok so maybe there isn't a simple answer to this because it can be a multitude of things. The camber is OK, I have checked that, it is the toe of the wheels. Mine has been lowered so it obviously needs adjusting outside of the std. settings that it keeps getting set to. I have now found 2 articles, one says it is toeing in too much, the one you have found says toeing out?! Also a thread on here where someone says they had the same when it was toeing in too much......arggghhh which way do they need to go? The garage I took it to said they were toeing out too much to cause that wear and that they would tweek them in slightly, does anyone on here have a finite answer?

Camber, Caster and Toe

Have a look at that article linked. If the inside edges are wearing it would mean you have too much negative camber. I believe the standard settings are like that anyway.

To reduce the wear on the inside egdes you could try the Lance alignment. Have a search on here and you'll find plenty of information and reviews on it. It worked well for me.

When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in. If the leading edges point away from each other, the pair is said to have toe-out. The amount of toe can be expressed in degrees as the angle to which the wheels are out of parallel, or more commonly, as the difference between the track widths as measured at the leading and trailing edges of the tires or wheels. Toe settings affect three major areas of performance: tire wear, straight-line stability and corner entry handling characteristics.

For minimum tire wear and power loss, the wheels on a given axle of a car should point directly ahead when the car is running in a straight line. Excessive toe-in or toe-out causes the tires to scrub, since they are always turned relative to the direction of travel. Too much toe-in causes accelerated wear at the outboard edges of the tires, while too much toe-out causes wear at the inboard edges.

Right, I am happy that the wheels are toeing out and need bringing in slightly. Thanks again guys :thumbs:

Ok Dick, so would that cause the inside of the tyre to wear then? I'm sure I read somewhere you had this problem, and it was toeing in too much?!

After owning my car for a while, i noticed that the inner edge was worn, i altered the toe to toe in, but i think i over did it, and i did notice that it seemed to accelerate the wear, don't know why, so i re set it, now i am inclined to think i still have a little too much toe out, but haven't noticed any wear yet.

What is the camber angle on the wheels showing excess inside tyre wear? Lowering doesn't mean the actual figures used for toe angles need changing. How much lower than stock is it? If it's more than about 20 mm lower the camber curves become silly, excess camber change in roll and bump occur, and abnormal tyre wear is inevitable. Very low profile, wide tyres will show excess shoulder wear, too, the stock suspension was never designed to make an ultra low profile tyre work correctly. Your problem sounds like still incorrect camber, or excessive lowering to me. Probably both.

What is the camber angle on the wheels showing excess inside tyre wear? Lowering doesn't mean the actual figures used for toe angles need changing. How much lower than stock is it? If it's more than about 20 mm lower the camber curves become silly, excess camber change in roll and bump occur, and abnormal tyre wear is inevitable. Very low profile, wide tyres will show excess shoulder wear, too, the stock suspension was never designed to make an ultra low profile tyre work correctly. Your problem sounds like still incorrect camber, or excessive lowering to me. Probably both.

I didn't lower it. It came with green/grey TRD shocks and unknown springs. Soemone on here had said they were a TRD/Bilstein kit. The wheels are 19" 235/35 front and 265/30 rear. How much it has phsyically been lowered - no idea :(

Found the old post https://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=82048&highlight=suspension

"

ary the TRD dampers are made by Bilstein and are a kind of greenish greyish colour.

If these are yours, they have 3 position height adjustment for the spring (around -15mm, -25mm or -35mm drop, compared to stock). The height is adjusted by removing the circlip holding the spring seat and moving it onto one of the 3 grooves on the damper. To adjust the height, you will need to remove the wheel and compress the spring first.

The TRD suspension is very good quality, it maybe that yours is set on the lowest height setting though.

"

Edited by suprattgaz (see edit history)