The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hit & Run

Bryan_Jones

Woke up this morning with my remote bleeping telling me my alarm had gone off. Very soon afterwards I had a phonecall from my Mum telling me that the police were round the house saying that my car had been hit by another driver who decided to drive off. :complain:

B*****D! :angrymod:

The good news came because someone walking past saw it and flagged down a police car giveing them the cars reg plate etc. So the police will be catching up with them soon. Fingers crossed they have insurance!

11072008416.jpg

11072008418.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys.

Actually goes anyone know what make the rear skirt is? There are some photos of the car if you click on the link in my signature. I didn't put the skirt on. I always thought it was Veilside, but I could be wrong. Trying to find it online, but so far I can't find one that matches mine. Just want to check it out so I can tell the garage where I'm getting it repaired. They are going to quote for a new bumper and skirt.

If it works out expensive I might go for a new bumper. Maybe a Veilside CII bumper? Anyone got any ideas?

Just been to Weymouth to have the car looked over by scene of crime officers as the guy is being an idiot and not admitting it. However he has a green car and has damage in the same place. Once the paint has been examined he will be charged as he said no-one else has access to the car. :eyebrows:

Just checked with Toyota and the back bumper comes pre painted and costs £814 inc VAT! :blink: :taped:

The guy better pay! I'll know very soon who it is. Once i know.... :boxing:

Just checked with Toyota and the back bumper comes pre painted and costs £814 inc VAT! :blink: :taped:

Wow that has shot up a bit, I got one in silver at £620 a couple of years ago.

The guy who crashed into me and wanted to pay for the damage went into a major rant mode when I told him the bumper cost alone ("I'd buy a new car for that :blahblah: etc")

Wow that has shot up a bit, I got one in silver at £620 a couple of years ago.

The guy who crashed into me and wanted to pay for the damage went into a major rant mode when I told him the bumper cost alone ("I'd buy a new car for that etc")

Yeah the bumper as it's an import comes pre colour coded. £693.11 + VAT. Glad I'm not paying for it!

As it happens for the amount the garage is going to quote to get it all replaced I might get an aftermarket rear bumper, front bumper and intercooler for the same price! But hey, I wouldn't want to rip anyone off........:eyebrows: :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok, so it's been a long while since I updated you all on what has been going on...........

Where do I start? :Pling:

HIT & RUN

Well the guy who for a long while didn't own up to doing it was taken to court on the 14th Jan '09! Good news as this has been going on now for nearly 6 months. He pleaded GUILTY! £370 fine, £50 court fees and 7 points on his licience later and I'm going to get my £600 excess + expenses back :D

Unfortunately I still don't know for certain who did it, although I have a rough idea.

THE GARAGE

The go ahead was given back in September for the work to be done, so for now I would be claiming on my insurance. I spoke with a guy called Andy Merry who agreed to do the work. Heard he'd done a good job on other friends cars.

So looking a various sources I finally settled on what I was going have fitted. As I'd mentioned in previous posts I was looking at replacing the back bumper, front bumper and maybe getting a front mounted intercooler. Well I ordered the front bumper off Ebay, then picked it up from Blanford. Easy. ;)

So I thought I'd do the same for the back bumper, but this came from a different source and needed to be posted. BIG mistake! :(

The bumper didn't fit properly and Andy Merry refused to fix it and suggested I go back to the supplier, who was having none of it. He told me that they could do it, but I would have to bring my car to London. Given that there was no way I could fit it in my Supra there was no way this was going to happen, so I decided to give it a go. Here is where the fun started! :blink:

Here is me a friend offering it up!

As you can see it's miles off! So now I was stuck. What the hell was I going to do :protest:

Mate came up with an idea. Sounded crazy, but it might just work. Split it in half with an grinder, fit it, clamp it together with bits of wood and screws, then fibreglass it back together!

Check out the bits of wood! :blink:

Then the fibreglass matting, P40 and finally P38 rubbing compound till you get to this:

Then it was all lightly sanded off :innocent: