The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to look for in Seatbelt Harnesses

Pabs

Hey all,

Now I've got some new seats in, I want to look at the ability to install some harnesses - these won't be used for daily driving though. (I've still got my standard belts in place)

Because of the very limited use these will get, I don't want to spend loads of money on them.

I've got the Sparco Harness bar fitted across the rear of the seats (as per Sharpie's thread - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=36741&page=3) So would need some harnesses to wrap around this.

What should I be looking at? 3 or 4 point harnesses? Personally I think 4 point, but everything I find has clips/bolt-ons rather than wrapping around the bar. Not really sure what the difference is though.

Any links/suggestions would be great - I think I'd remove these from the harness bar and tuck them under the seats when not in use.

Oh - they need to be black too :)

Cheers folks

All the belts I find have bolting points on the end of each section - the two shoulder straps I need to wrap around my harness bar...

What exactly do I ask for/call them? Obviously the wrong ones are referred to as bolt-in?

here is the part no for black 902217E/4 BLACK

http://www.sabelt.co.uk/imagesproduct/clearharness217E4.gif

Lightweight 6 point

904217E/4 RED

902217E/4 BLACK

901217E/4 BLUE

907217E/4 SILVER

6 points for saloon with light rotating buckle.

75mm shoulder and lap straps.

Shoulder straps for wrap around fixing.

Waist and crutch straps fixing snap hooks with 7/16" eyebolts included.

Professional steel adjusters on shoulder and waist straps.

FIA approved

HANS friendly

Price: £130.84 ex vat £153.18 inc vat

go on sabelt.co.uk and to harnesses then top formula 3

What are peoples views on using harnesses without a rollcage?

The reason I ask is that with harnesses they hold you firmly in position, this is all very good until the car flips onto its unsupported roof and you take the weight down your head, neck and spine.

With a roll cage this would not be an issue.

With normal seat belts and no cage you still have a resonable amount of freedom to get thrown out of the way.

Discuss :D

What are peoples views on using harnesses without a rollcage?

The reason I ask is that with harnesses they hold you firmly in position, this is all very good until the car flips onto its unsupported roof and you take the weight down your head, neck and spine.

With a roll cage this would not be an issue.

With normal seat belts and no cage you still have a resonable amount of freedom to get thrown out of the way.

Discuss :D

I would only use harnesses in a track situation, it's probably not going to be insured on a track, if I crash on a track where this sort of imense damage occurs I'd rather die :D