The mkiv Supra Owners Club

American Evo VIII owner seeks Supra for return to UK.

kins

Hi,

I currently live in Chicago and drive an 03 Evo VIII. This is she...

I will be selling the Evo soon and moving back to the UK. However Evo's seem to be pricier back home and well Supra's hold less of a premium and I've always fancied one.

I've joined this forum hopefully to pick up some advice and make a few new pals.

Basically I've been looking on ebay and autotrader and there seems to be a very sparce offering of the type of supra I would like. Being a newbie I have vague idea of what sort of Supra I'd like when I make it home.

OK this is a mkiv supra forum so it's safe to say I want a mkiv.

I would like a UK car and not an import as I believe insurance is dearer on Jap imports.

I would like a manual. Now here is where I start asking questions...which is best 5 or 6 speed? I know with the Evo's the 5 speed boxes can take more power than the newer 6 speeds... is there any difference in strength on the Supra boxes?

I think I'd like a VVTI twin turbo motor... again with the Evo's the Mivec engine is a better stock engine but if you're going to modify it it's easier to go with the non Mivec. If I intend to play with the engine would I be better off staying away from variable valve timing?

I would like a newer facelift car.

I DO NOT want a fast and furious looking car with horrible garish body kits, giant wings, graphics, neons, painted interiors. I like to keep my cars stock looking, with the exception of some nice wheels and coilovers. I've been thinking BBS LM's or CCW classics.

I'm also not a fan of cars with big sound systems, with huuuge subs, holes cut in shelf for speakers, and car's with broken trim. I do like flip out stereo's and upgraded component speakers with that factory look.... maybe a little active 8" alpine sub to give it a little more depth but definitely something that can easily be removed....but that's it.

I also have contacts here in the US for Supra parts. My room mate Bill owns a US mkiv twin turbo with a single turbo conversion ( I will see if I can get pics from him to post up for you guys... it's niiiice ). He has many connections with tuners out here including sound performance. I'm even thinking about having a crate engine built over here (with all the bells and whistles) and then having it shipped over to me (may as well while the $ sucks). However this is all pie in the sky / future thoughts that are running through my head.

Yes so that's where I am now. I was hoping to pick up a very clean supra off one of the forums. I prefer to buy privately from club members as I know these cars are usually well loved and maintained.

I'm thinking of spending about 10,000 pounds (sorry I don't have a frickin pound symbol on my Yank laptop it's so annoying.... only $). Which is roughly what I'll have left over when I sell my Evo and suffer conversion fee's. I think that figure should buy me a nice one don't you guys?

Can anyone recommended what car I should be looking for in terms of year, model etc?

Does anyone on here have a car for sale that might be suitable for me?

Thank you for reading my first post and I'm looking forward to finding a nice Supra that I can take to meets and shows. [GRIN]

Edited by kins (see edit history)

Hi,

Basically I've been looking on ebay and autotrader and there seems to be a very sparce offering of the type of supra I would like. Being a newbie I have vague idea of what sort of Supra I'd like when I make it home.

OK this is a mkiv supra forum so it's safe to say I want a mkiv.

I would like a UK car and not an import as I believe insurance is dearer on Jap imports.

It tends to be cheaper to insure UK cars yes, the problem being the frequency with which uk cars come up for sale .

I would like a manual. Now here is where I start asking questions...which is best 5 or 6 speed? I know with the Evo's the 5 speed boxes can take more power than the newer 6 speeds... is there any difference in strength on the Supra boxes?

yes the 5 speed box will not take big power and is only found on the n/a supras unless someone has done a conversion.

I think I'd like a VVTI twin turbo motor... again with the Evo's the Mivec engine is a better stock engine but if you're going to modify it it's easier to go with the non Mivec. If I intend to play with the engine would I be better off staying away from variable valve timing?

I would like a newer facelift car.

If you want any of the above specs then it will have to be a import spec car. Uk specs end in 96 just before facelift came in. None of the uk cars were vvti either as that arrived in 97.

Modification wise non VVTI is easier but a few people run the VVTI to a good level of tune and seem happy.

I DO NOT want a fast and furious looking car with horrible garish body kits, giant wings, graphics, neons, painted interiors. I like to keep my cars stock looking, with the exception of some nice wheels and coilovers. I've been thinking BBS LM's or CCW classics.

I'm also not a fan of cars with big sound systems, with huuuge subs, holes cut in shelf for speakers, and car's with broken trim. I do like flip out stereo's and upgraded component speakers with that factory look.... maybe a little active 8" alpine sub to give it a little more depth but definitely something that can easily be removed....but that's it.

I also have contacts here in the US for Supra parts. My room mate Bill owns a US mkiv twin turbo with a single turbo conversion ( I will see if I can get pics from him to post up for you guys... it's niiiice ). He has many connections with tuners out here including sound performance. I'm even thinking about having a crate engine built over here (with all the bells and whistles) and then having it shipped over to me (may as well while the $ sucks). However this is all pie in the sky / future thoughts that are running through my head.

Yes so that's where I am now. I was hoping to pick up a very clean supra off one of the forums. I prefer to buy privately from club members as I know these cars are usually well loved and maintained.

I'm thinking of spending about 10,000 pounds (sorry I don't have a frickin pound symbol on my Yank laptop it's so annoying.... only $). Which is roughly what I'll have left over when I sell my Evo and suffer conversion fee's. I think that figure should buy me a nice one don't you guys?

Can anyone recommended what car I should be looking for in terms of year, model etc?

Does anyone on here have a car for sale that might be suitable for me?

Thank you for reading my first post and I'm looking forward to finding a nice Supra that I can take to meets and shows. [GRIN]

£10 k in todays market will see you with a decent car, finding an unmolested car will be the hard bit. VVTI 6 speed will probably stretch your budget but there are bargains to be had.

If it was me i would look at a facelift 6 speed and use that as a base for modifying as it sounds to me like you have a few plans.

Alternatively if you are staying in the uk for a while get Jurgen or Whifbitz to source a car for you from Japan to the spec you want.

Good luck with your search.

Its nice to have a well written message without innit and wot and chav speak in it :)

Guest flipper

I have a Facelift 6 speed manual for sale...400+ bhp with good mods...low miles (49k)...in process of getting ready to sell...removed big wing and my Transformer sticker off windscreen...its a Jap import however they are usually in better nick due to no salt....also people say UK better spec but how come the japs had a different spec?...my car sppols up quick and not yet been beaten by a UK or a single...will do quarter in 13 secs...will be posting some more recent photos

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=153939

supra last night.jpg

Edited by flipper (see edit history)

Your are spot on in your references to the evo apart from the gearboxes,

IMHO, any car thats been over here for a number of years are generally dogs, there are only a few examples that will meet your stateside like requirements, and you will generally find them here:)

Depending on your age the import/uk thing wont really affect you on insurance, and if you really think about it an extra hundred quid per for a j-spec minter than a UK dog is nothing

Dont get me wrong, not all UK cars are dogs, but a lot are generally not cared for as much as cars that are fresh from japan, and if you find one, it will generally reflect in the price

Your ideas on engine mods would be your best bet, you will save a lot of money but again if you do decide to go down the single route(assuming you want to do it properly) you will shell out more than the cars worth - maybe twice!!;) My point here is if you buy a proper single done then you would save a lot of money but you would be looking at the region of 16K

Almost forgot - welcome

Welcome Kins. A nicely written and well thought out first post.

Just some info... I have a VVTI facelift, and the tuning options because of the VVTI are slightly limiting. Whether that will change I'm not sure but here's hoping. If I had to have it over from the beginning I'd go for a Jap facelift 6 speed non VVTI.

Just my 2 cents.

It tends to be cheaper to insure UK cars yes, the problem being the frequency with which uk cars come up for sale .

yes the 5 speed box will not take big power and is only found on the n/a supras unless someone has done a conversion.

If you want any of the above specs then it will have to be a import spec car. Uk specs end in 96 just before facelift came in. None of the uk cars were vvti either as that arrived in 97.

Modification wise non VVTI is easier but a few people run the VVTI to a good level of tune and seem happy.

£10 k in todays market will see you with a decent car, finding an unmolested car will be the hard bit. VVTI 6 speed will probably stretch your budget but there are bargains to be had.

If it was me i would look at a facelift 6 speed and use that as a base for modifying as it sounds to me like you have a few plans.

Alternatively if you are staying in the uk for a while get Jurgen or Whifbitz to source a car for you from Japan to the spec you want.

Good luck with your search.

Its nice to have a well written message without innit and wot and chav speak in it :)

1) Insurance - I've been living out of the country for just over a year now so I'm really not sure what's going to happen with my no claims. I hope I don't have to start over. I was thinking about buying a little diesel as a run about and then have the Supra as my play thing. Whenever I've tried to get insurance on imports the price has always been insane and unjust in my honest opinion.

This makes a UK TT very attractive to me. Oh and I'm a 26 yr old Design Engineer who will be living in Ingleton North Yorkshire. Never had a claim or conviction. What should I be paying for insurance?

2)Gearboxes - I'm a little confused... you say the 6 speeds can handle more power? I would have thought the 5 speeds had bigger and stronger gears. Are the 6 speeds just engineered better?

3)I was originally thinking VVTI to save a little petrol and it would be nice to tootle around town and then have some nice revving power bands. But if they're only available on imports and are harder to modify then I'll have to think again. The same goes for facelift cars. Can UK cars undergo the facelift treatment? Is it a bolt on conversion and what are the differences..... lights and bumpers? Are any panels different? Would performing a facelift on a UK car affect it's value?

4) Do you think it's possible to find a clean, unmolested UK car for under 10K?

5) Yes I would like to modify but nothing crazy. I was hoping to start with nice wheels, coilover's and exhaust. Then start upgrading the engine... single turbo kit, intercooler, filter, intake manifold, fuel pump, injectors, cams, pulleys. I hear the internals are pretty bomb proof on the 2jz-gte engine which is good. I take it the rods are forged? I'd like to stay away from spending mega bucks on rods, pistons, cranks etc. I don't have a BHP figure in mind, I just want to modify until I decide what the right power levels are for me. I'm looking for a fast street car that will be quick and fun for the odd track day, I'm not looking for a sub 10 sec drag car (maybe I'll try out a run what you brung day at Pod for curiosity). Basically I'm after a driver with some pep.

I think thus far I'm swaying to find a nice example of a UK TT. I guess it depends if I can find one.

I have a couple of questions.

Do the TT's have brembo's and if yes how good are they?

Are the any significant changes in the production of the TT.... if yes what year car is most desirable and why?

I really like the smokey grey coloured cars. Can you get UK TT car's in this colour? What is this colour called?

Engine management - There have been major advancements in reflashing factory Evo ECU's, top tuners are using reflashes as a proffered method of tuning Evo's over the likes of designated piggy backs and stand alone systems. How is it with the Supra? Can UK tuners achieve excellent results just by reflashes or would I need a designated EMS?

I would also like to say that the "Supra Guide" and "Supra models" PDF's are very well put together. I'll be sure to swat up on those pieces of literature. Thank you to whoever took the time to put these together.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me out by commenting on my thread!

Karl

P.S I iz glad yooz liked mi writtin innit. I iz after a soopra wit 24" chrome spinnaz, dat goez boom tickity boom, shalla ama. I gonna be fasta than ma boyz civic and do wheeliz and stuff. I ix also gonna paint it burberry stripped innit. Booyakka shan peace out to mi Julie. Fo shizzle. :D

I iz glad yooz liked mi writtin innit. I iz after a soopra wit 24" chrome spinnaz, dat goez boom tickity boom, shalla ama. I gonna be fasta than ma boyz civic and do wheeliz and stuff. I ix also gonna paint it burberry stripped innit. Booyakka shan peace out to mi Julie. Fo shizzle.

I think you just found your signature :)

I'm from South Africa and when I came to this country I got a letter from my insurers stating my no claims discount in years, and it was accepted over here.

Facelift differences include different front bumper and front indicators. Different headlights and rear light clusters. Different instrument clusters and smallish things like an analogue clock.

1) Insurance - I've been living out of the country for just over a year now so I'm really not sure what's going to happen with my no claims. I hope I don't have to start over. I was thinking about buying a little diesel as a run about and then have the Supra as my play thing. Whenever I've tried to get insurance on imports the price has always been insane and unjust in my honest opinion.

This makes a UK TT very attractive to me. Oh and I'm a 26 yr old Design Engineer who will be living in Ingleton North Yorkshire. Never had a claim or conviction. What should I be paying for insurance?

For a uk rough guess say £800, depends on a lot of things, and with you having no NCB could be a problem, although if you have an understanding insurer you should mention youve been driving in the US they may offer a slight reduction or something.

2)Gearboxes - I'm a little confused... you say the 6 speeds can handle more power? I would have thought the 5 speeds had bigger and stronger gears. Are the 6 speeds just engineered better?

6-speed is getrag so tougher build, 5-speed was built by toyota i think so not as tough.

Your are spot on in your references to the evo apart from the gearboxes,

IMHO, any car thats been over here for a number of years are generally dogs, there are only a few examples that will meet your stateside like requirements, and you will generally find them here:)

Depending on your age the import/uk thing wont really affect you on insurance, and if you really think about it an extra hundred quid per for a j-spec minter than a UK dog is nothing

Dont get me wrong, not all UK cars are dogs, but a lot are generally not cared for as much as cars that are fresh from japan, and if you find one, it will generally reflect in the price

Your ideas on engine mods would be your best bet, you will save a lot of money but again if you do decide to go down the single route(assuming you want to do it properly) you will shell out more than the cars worth - maybe twice!!;) My point here is if you buy a proper single done then you would save a lot of money but you would be looking at the region of 16K

Almost forgot - welcome

I can totally understand your point about most UK cars being high mileage, rusty dogs. I'm hoping I can find one that been owned by a grandad, sat in his garage with less than 10,000 miles on the clock, started every weekend so it doesn't dry out. Ha ha - yeah right!

Alternatively - If I could get facelift non vvt,i twin turbo, with low kilometerage (ha ha) that also ranked high on the import condition scale ( I need to research how this scale works) it could be best. It would be even better if I can find one that has had the money spent on it with NICE mods I would do anyway. I guess it all depends if I can find the right car and if insurance will cripple me.

3)

Can UK cars undergo the facelift treatment?

YES you could fit all the J-spec facelift parts to the UK apart from the dash i think

Is it a bolt on conversion and what are the differences..... lights and bumpers?

Yes Lights are the main difference.

Are any panels different?

NO not like you mean.

Would performing a facelift on a UK car affect it's value?

No

Do the TT's have brembo's and if yes how good are they?
NO not from factory, the UK cars come with 4-pot fronts/2pot rear as standard tho and with the J-specs they wher optional.

Are the any significant changes in the production of the TT.... if yes what year car is most desirable and why?

No not on the Uk, the Jspec facelift was a significant change

I really like the smokey grey coloured cars. Can you get UK TT car's in this colour? What is this colour called?

Gunmetal, yes its a nice colour, one of the best, cant get it on Uk's as it was a facelift colour change on J-specs.

Engine management - There have been major advancements in reflashing factory Evo ECU's, top tuners are using reflashes as a proffered method of tuning Evo's over the likes of designated piggy backs and stand alone systems. How is it with the Supra? Can UK tuners achieve excellent results just by reflashes or would I need a designated EMS

Not sure about that but look into BPU, sounds like the level of tune you are after, pretty good bang for buck i bieleve.

I think you just found your signature :)

I'm from South Africa and when I came to this country I got a letter from my insurers stating my no claims discount in years, and it was accepted over here.

Facelift differences include different front bumper and front indicators. Different headlights and rear light clusters. Different instrument clusters and smallish things like an analogue clock.

Ha ha I'm not sure I want to embarrass myself that much by sticking the Ali G talk in my sig lol. I'm particularly proud of the shala ama bit.... I just got in the zone and it flowed ha ha.

I'll have to contact my past insurers in the UK / my current insurer here in the US and see if I can transfer my no claims over. If I can't it will suck royally.

Thanks for the info on the facelift, I'm sure they are nicer.

For a uk rough guess say £800, depends on a lot of things, and with you having no NCB could be a problem, although if you have an understanding insurer you should mention youve been driving in the US they may offer a slight reduction or something.

I'll have to turn on my charm and blag it... that's how I usually get through life :)

Id get a mint facelift import on your budget and pay the extra in insurance, its hard to find a really really nice low mileage UK and when you do find one they will be fairly pricey.

Sounds like good advice. I'll still look out for a bargain UK car but if not I'll go for a non VVTI, facelift import. This make it harder now I have to learn all the models. :search: I'd love to take a trip over to Japan, find my own and import it. That would be hella fun and rewarding. I can imagine a importer would be the best route as my Japanese isn't so hot.

Oh maybe I could get by using this http://www.cnfj.navy.mil/phrases.html