The mkiv Supra Owners Club

power steering pump question

tooquicktostop

Well I have hit another snag !!

I had the power steering fluid container changed for a chromed stock unit as a last minute job during the spanner check on Monday after the run in, had no issues until 1/2 mile form home after 40 miles of driving when the steering became very heavy and the pump was making a loud noise, I limped home and called Mark, he thought it would perhaps be some air left in the system after replacing the tank and that I should top up the fluid and turn the wheels lock to lock a few times then top up again

I have done this twice and some fluid went in however on a run to check tonight about 1/8 of the fluid has escaped out of the top of the tank, also the pump is making a very metallic noise and the steering goes from light to heavy with a strong judder, the car than goes on to make no noise for a few seconds then back to the loud metallic sound, getting worse under load, Mark has told me he will come over saturday but thinks its still air, am I able to do something else as its a PITA to call him over and after selling the NA I have no car from tomorrow night , this car is something else !

same happed to mine - i ended up bleeding the system 3 times.

If you bleed it the toyota way;

the wheels are to be off the ground (engine off), then lock to lock 3 time, wheel back on the ground, start engine, lock to lock, engine off. Check PAS tank for level/bubbles. The keep repeating until no noise/no bubbles

It's common for the PAS pump to have problems if the car has been stood for a while. Mine did the same thing after the car was off the road for a few months, when I did the single install. The bearings in my pump were shot, replaced it with a new pump.